Sign in to follow this  
steve @

VR6 Noise ??

Strange one here. Got to work this morning and noticed an unhealthy noise coming from the engine bay. Though bugger probably the timing tensioners (143k on original chains and tensioners) however when I popped the bonnet it seems to be coming from the drivers side low down. The water pump pulley looks on the piss, but I plan to slacken the belt off at lunch time and investigate that. Could it be the power steering pump? (how to tell?) did a search but didn’t come up with much, anything else it might be? Really need to get this sorted otherwise no rr for me on Sunday :cry:

What sort of noise is it mate?

I had a problem with the tensioner on mine that caused an awful racket (clattery sound). The garage told me it was ok to drive until they got the bits in but 5 mins down the road it give up the will to live causing my belt to break and to a coolant pipe to blow dumping all my water on the road whilst my interior filled with steam!! :censored:

A new tensioner and a new belt sorted it.

Could be the main water pump bearing, particularly as you reckon the pulley is a bit iffy ..

Yeah hopefully. Although the noise (a kind of clattery sound) seems to be coming from further down. I'll slacken the belt at lunch and turn the water pump by hand. I just hope its that tbh, as at the moment I am not convinced.

I'll report my findings!

I'll be interested to hear what the outcome is incase I get any future problems down there!.... I bet 50p its the tensioner but I'm not a mechanic by any means!

My mechanic matey determined my problem by putting a spanner or something metal on the tensioner casing with the engine running, and as he was able to feel an awful lot of vibration coming through the spanner, that pointed him to the tensioner?

Just wind the tensioner down with the correct bolt to take some tension off the belt while the car is running. You'll soon know when it goes quiet.

If it is their is a Wiki on it. Just press in another bearing. Costs around £8 and is a simple job.

Right just had the belt off. The water pump is feckered. Must have atl east 10mm of movement side to side how its not leaking I dont know.