Sign in to follow this  
Andi

Corrado Mk4-Golf-Reverse style white dials (old thread)

INVOLVED GROUP BUYERS ONLY: Would you like white dials by day, or black dials?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. INVOLVED GROUP BUYERS ONLY: Would you like white dials by day, or black dials?

• White by day / Black by night
    • Black by day / Black by night

guys....can we just go ahead and get these dials and everyone sort out their own needle problems. I think we can take it as read that these dials are cool, irrespective of whether or not we have a complete solution.

OK, well, I got the later clocks I bought from Crazymarcel this morning, and having stripped 'em apart this lunchtime, I can safely say that if we design the faces to have an illuminated circle in the middle of each gauge under the needle's centers, the needles will light up, but only on the later red needled clocks... 8)

I'll compare the 2 different types of needle tonight to make sure that both types will cover the same size disk, and then post up my findings... 8)

I don't think it's worth getting this buy organised yet until we're sure of the exact design we need to make them work... We're nearly there now though... 8)

Glad to see this thread and the whole idea developing. some of you guys are quite ingenious! i'm impressed... wish i could help! am well looking forward to replacing the dials in my car thru this idea. Its one of the areas of the car that makes it look and feel quite dated.

yeah, I just wish I'd have got my butt into gear a bit earlier so we could have been this far along a while ago... :oops:

I've been a little bit busy with my own car though, so I do have an excuse! ;) :lol:

so your not going ahead with the ultra violet leds?

Well, as it happens... I just had a closer look at the VR6 dials...

I don't think that the rear illumination thing will work very well, but have a look at this photo! This is using one 3mm UV LED, the same as the photos before, but on a standard VR6 rev counter... 8)

UV with black dials is DEFINATELY the way to go to get this to work... 8)

Total extra cost: 3x £1.50 for the LEDs, about 30p for the resistors and, if you've got early white needles, some sort of paint that glows in UV light... 8)

I think that we have a go-er here... 8)

I'll rig up a full set of clocks this weekend to show what it looks like with all 4 needles glowing... 8)

What do the rest of you think? :?:

yeh...lets go with this idea. Would like to have the needles rear illuiminated but this is next best thing...so that's fine :lol:

Cool, getting there :)

Anyone got some of the metal dial faces spare? I'll need to send a set off to the states for them to copy 'em.

it would be good if we could get these sorted by GTI International.....then Henny can set up a table, we bring him our clocks, and he does the necessary changes :lol:

or...............even better..............

Henny could do an onsite service and fit them in the actual cars aswell :lol: :lol:

what do you say henny?

:p:p:p

As soon as my 'rado's back in one piece, the only thing I'll be doing to any Corrados will be to drive mine! :p

I'll probably be talked into doing some though, knowing what I'm like! :roll:

I'm rather partial to Becks or Kronenbourg bottled beer, Bombay Saphire Gin and cash is always nice to have if you're trying to influence me! ;) :lol:

I do have a couple of new photos at home for those people who want to keep their original white needles but want these gauges... I used an UV security marker (about £1.50) to go over the white parts of the needle.... It glows up really nicely in a whiteish blue colour under the UV LEDs and is very effective... 8) I'll post 'em later tonight if I get chance... 8)

you messed up ithere henny, the small writing is too small to read properly....

luckily i have good eye sight and can read it easily...

for the benefit of others it says

" I will do your clocks for free (jedi's first) and will be giving out £10 notes for a laugh at inters" :lol:

nice work with all this testing though... how many sets of clocks do you have now?

you messed up ithere henny, the small writing is too small to read properly....

luckily i have good eye sight and can read it easily...

for the benefit of others it says

" I will do your clocks for free (jedi's first) and will be giving out £10 notes for a laugh at inters" :lol:

nice work with all this testing though... how many sets of clocks do you have now?

It's a subliminal hint! ;)

I've now got 2 sets of white needled G60 clocks and a set of red needled VR6 clocks... as well as about 5 different sets from MKI and MKII golfs.... :roll:

I really do need to get out more... :roll: :oops: :lol:

Yeah, I'm moving house on Sunday and I'm kinda busy...... lol

Should be able to get the ball rolling when I'm settled, unless someone else wants the reigns before then.

/me doesn't vote for me 'cos I've gotta get my car sorted! :p

wow I've just read through 10 pages of this :) any chance I can be added to this? although I'm still confused as to what the dials will look like, but it'll be better than standard, so I'm happy :D

come on guys...dont mean to be rude but can we sort this..what with summer coming up n'all :mrgreen:

I reckon the front illumination of needles will be fine!

Well, as I've said before:

a) I don't have to time to do this right now - someone else with more free time is welcome to take over.

b) I'm still waiting for someone to offer a spare set of dials so that a template can be cut. Only need the actual facias - not the whole clocks!

I have the dials if you need 'em Andi... :)

Early or late? ;) Got both! :)

What do you think of these guys and girls????

I have created my own white dials!! Also have them for sale.

But these are them in my car at night.

I have removed the green filter and ordinary dash lights and wired in a circuit board in the opening for the lights but out of sight with alot of Ultra Violet LED's and painted the needles with a red paint that reacts with UV light!

I have then replaced the lights and filters behind the LCD counters and clock with a blue cluster LED's and tracing paper to diffuse it!!

I like the results, what about you?????

Henny,

You were talking about your clocks in another thread and now I see them in the flesh. I like the LCDs!

I'll obviously have to reread the thread and make some notes :)

Cheers,

Rica

Looks good. I like the black dials route although the white dials with uv look really nice. They're not quite what I'm after. Black dials and reverse LCD readouts would look nice.