cromwell

more cooling problems

my car started erupting steam from the header tank a few weeks ago and i have been trying to fix it ever since. so far i have replaced the gasket on the side of the head, the radiator and the gasket on the front of the head, but its still doing it! i was wondering if maybe i have an air lock in the system somewhere? if i do how do i get rid of this? ie is there a bleed valve somewhere? i cant find one! also i cant seem to find my thermostat (im a very new rado owner) so could someone let me know where that is? a diagram would be fantastic if possible 8)

cheers people :wink:

The other odvious point to look at is the head gasket. Go along to your local friendly MOT test station and get htem to use the exhaust analyser on the header tank. If it detects any emmisions then your head gasket is fooked.... A lot of garages also use a colour test to check for dissolved CO, H/C's etc...

Sounds exactly like what the g/f's old rover did when it blew the head gasket...

Sounds exactly like what the g/f's old rover did when it blew the head gasket...

..and exactly what mine was doing when my head gasket went :( . Best to check all possibilities though as it's sometimes something simple :)

the water temp shows normal (about half way) but the oil temp just keeps going up and up, had it up to 140 before i cut the engine. i hope to hell its not the head gasket! im skint! looks that way though doesnt it :cry:

is there a way i can get rid of any airlocks to check its defo not that? also where is the thermostat situated on a rado?

taa!

on the expansion tank there's the small pipe from the top hose... remove the cap to the expansion tank (WHEN COLD!!!) and also remove this pipe. Feed the pipe into the top of the expansion tank and hold it there so you can see the end of it. Now get someone to start the engine. You should see a pretty much steady flow of water through the small pipe into the expansion tank... If not, then you've no water circulation so either this pipe is blocked, or your water pump has had it...

If there is flow, stop the engine and re-connect the pipe properly again. Now restart the engine and leave the expansion tank cap off for a little while until the engine starts to warm up... if you can see the water bubbling up from the middle of the expansion tank (quite a bit) before it's got warm, then you really need to get the bubbles sniffed by a gas analyser to check for CO and HCs as it's looking like a weaping head gasket...

The thermostat is in the black plastic part of the waterpump housing on a 4 cylinder Corrado, but I have no idea on the VR engine...

cheers henny ill try that tomorrow! its a g60 not a VR so i will check the water pump, only problem is i dont know where that is either! if it does all go against me and turn out to be the head gasket how much do you reckon thatd set me back?

The water pump is in the same place as any other 4cyl VW... the only problem is on a G60 it has a bracket and supercharger bolted on top...