Sign in to follow this  
Talc

LPG conversion

Looking into possibility of getting an LPG conversion done on my Rado VR6, heard it runs a higher octane than Petrol for a start so should be better performance wise, and hopefully will be a bit cheaper in the long run after conversion...

What do you guys think?

Anyone had this done?

My girlfriends golf country is LPG. it's absolutely fantastic. a bit fiddly to fill up, but when you can get it for as little as 37.9p a litre who cares! full tank for under £15, works out to the equivalent of 65mpg!!

only problems, most motorway services don't sell it, so I highly recommmend you buy the map which lists all the curent uk stations, and fill up before a motorway trip. also, it smells a bit when you release the nozzle after filling, and the tank will totally take up a lot of your boot space (and it's heavy)

also, it won't be cheap forever, the tax releif will eventually by taken away. I don't know when, or how much it'll be going up to but it will happen sooner or later.

I've had a few LPG cars , not a LPG rado though :)

Like Phat says, it's a bit fiddly filling up - but so much cheaper who gives a fook.

Like with most things, it'll only be as good as the person that fits it so try and get a recomended fitter. With regards to performance, I never noticed a difference on any of the cars I had with it, but none of them were 190 BHP - so you may notice a difference but i'd be suprised.

Another draw back is the A-bomb sized tank in the boot - though I heard a while back that they were starting to supply tanks that could fit into the spare wheel well, also you need to consider where the filler cap will go.

yeah, the country has a spare wheel well tank. shame the boot floor is raised up (syncro) and the tank pokes out the top of the floor a bit. it's just good thatt he country has it's spare wheel on a carrier on the back of the car!

seriously considering it for my 4 motion.

how difficult is it to install yourself and what exactly does the set up consist of?