Sign in to follow this  
jonrb

Won't start - alarm goes off instead

I assume at this point that given that you're now wrestling with the battery fixings, you've ascertained that the old battery is toast?

I assume at this point that given that you're now wrestling with the battery fixings, you've ascertained that the old battery is toast?

:lol: you could say that. :)

I don't actually own a blowtorch, so I popped down to Farnborough B&Q and picked up the cheapest one they had, which was a modest £10.99 and also a bolt that 'looked right'.

I tried the seized bolt again before using the blowtorch, just in case the Penetrating Spray had done its work, but still seized solid.

The blowtorch was a bit of an arse to light and stay lit, but I managed to get about 5 secs on the bolt head before flame-out, but thought I'd give it a go and bugger me it turned immediately.

And the fact that I had in fact chosen an almost perfect replacement bolt was a bonus too. It's only zinc-plated but should do until I source a stainless.

Connected the new battery up, turned the key in the ignition, and the car sprang to life.

How stupid do I feel now? :oops: :)

Wow - well for the first time ever I was first in with the reply AND correct.. hows about that!

Wow - well for the first time ever I was first in with the reply AND correct.. hows about that!

:thumb right: