Sign in to follow this  
VR6 Russ

Lowering

I am about to order my Koni shocks and springs and was wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere fairly nearby to fit these for me. Also how much for labour am I roughly looking at.

Would it be cheaper for a garage to get these in for me and fit them, or for me to order them myself.

Thanks

Order them yourself and fit the rears yourself, it's dead easy.

Then take the fronts down to a garage and then get them to fit them and do the geometry.

Reason I say that about the rears is mechanics aren't generally as careful removing the shelf supports and clips etc as owners are ;-)

fit the rears yourself, it's dead easy.

Then take the fronts down to a garage and then get them to fit them

That's what I'm having to do, but only because I can't undo 2 wheel bolts (broke 2 sockets) and the allen key slot on the top strut split when trying to undo! This was after spending 3 hours doing the rears as the bottom strut bolts snapped and needed cutting out. Almost had a nasty accident as I supported the rear on the beam, so when I cut through the last bolt the car collapsed on me. Had to shout for help to get me free!!

So, taking it to a garage is not such a bad idea as we can all have a bit of bad luck.

So true about the shelf supports,clips etc. I had to re do them again after the garage fitted my coilovers. Keep a close eye on them if a garage does them for you.

Cheers for the replys guys.

I think i'm gonna buy the kit and get a garage to do it, not very mechanically minded and not a lot of time on my hands.

Has anyone had them fitted in my area, and done a decent job, cos my standard shocks are the originals and after 133K they are completley knackered and it handels like a boat.

I just fitted a Weitec kit of matched springs n shockers. Got em from the man at G. Well nice setup. Recomended by Darren he fitted a set to his wife's car. Said the ride quality for everyday use was amazing.

As a job its not hard. Rears take an hr. Fronts a little longer. You will need spring compressors. Makes the job easier.

Fit the rears into the turrets first then jack up the rear beam and loose bolt everything up. Only tighten suspension bolts and such when the weight of the car is on all wheels. Will stop bush n mount creak.

I took pleanty of shots of the rear buildup not sure about the front.

Will write a 'how to' get it posted

VR6 Russ, fair enough but take the parcel shelf and supports out before you drop the car off, will make it easier for them and save you labour too...

Just been quoted £220 for the labour and £380 for the springs and shocks. So £600 in total.

Labour seems quite a lot to me, but the garage seems pretty good, been reccomended by a few people.

Anyone else had these fitted for cheaper, and I really do not want to attempt this my self.

Cheers