Sign in to follow this  
antonio_b12

Amp problem

Did a search couldnt find anything.

hey just finished wiring my soundz,

works ok, and pumping nice.

then i cranked up the level on the amp, just below the Max level, any way cranked up my head unit too, then nothing the sub goes off.

now its not working and the amp light is just flashing....

so i checked and replaced the fuses, amp/fuse for the power gauge.

thought it was a bad earth, changed it over no light, put it back then still flashing.

bit baffled tbh

thanks

Dont turn the gain up that much ever its not a volume control and will start clipping which will kill speakers and amps.

To set up you need to turn all gains down, turn up stereo to slight distortion, then back off to no distortion, turn up gain on amp till distortion again then back off a little till its clear again.

This will balance out the system.

You may have killed your amp not sure.

What light is flashing?

the actual power, l.e.d. light on the amp.

i mean it was working fine for a good 3 hours before testing the soundz, bit of a mistake that.

Most likely bad news.

If there is lights on then there is power there, is there a amp protection light?

its a saga amp, 800watts 4 channel.

i might switch my mates amp over to test it, but not knowing too much about sounds, i thought if the amp light is flashing, i thought there might be a simple solution to this.

hence the why i posted this thread.

hmm..... baffled

i wouldn't turn anything up to distortion level and then back it off again if i were you mate. you're kind of asking for trouble really, especially with car speakers which are relatively delicate. just my opinion though.

generally speaking any power amp should be running at about 8 tenths. this should ensure fairly efficient running with any half decent amp.

sounds like you've either blown the amp or triggered some sort of safety

i wouldn't turn anything up to distortion level and then back it off again if i were you mate. you're kind of asking for trouble really, especially with car speakers which are relatively delicate. just my opinion though.

generally speaking any power amp should be running at about 8 tenths. this should ensure fairly efficient running with any half decent amp.

sounds like you've either blown the amp or triggered some sort of safety

I was saying a quick rough guide as yes its more to it than that.

Not saying full on distortion but just when its only just starting.

If setting correctly then a ossiclope or whatever it is and a RTA is needed.

a couple of things.......the amp may have either 1) activated thermal protection - let it cool

2) it may cut out if the input voltage drops below a set level

3) it`s goosed......cant find a web site for saga but ebay show them as cheapo units...might be time to up grade

...i`m assuming you havent blown the speakers...may be wise to test with another speaker just for output

@ gaz the greezer - yea defo cheapo, actually got the amp in dubai, was wondering why that guy was laughing when taking my money. lol joking but it was lying in the house so i thought are try it...

well see 2morr if it works in my mates car.

if not will get another 1.

cheerz

@gaz the greezer - havent tried it yet. whats the best place to earth it in the boot? as i tried the screw next to the rear speaker, didnt think this was the best of places but, it work b4, i started to crank it up.

yea defo cheapo, actually got the amp in dubai,

i`ve got a kenwood 450w sub amp going cheap if yer interested fella ? where you from if you dont mind me asking

whats the best place to earth it in the boot? as i tried the screw next to the rear speaker, didnt think this was the best of places but, it work b4, i started to crank it up.

i usually run a common earth from the battery to pick up both my amps, ( to eliminate noise ) you should be able to earth in the boot but make sure the the main earthing points in the engine bay are good and clean

Not as good as what is in now.

2 2 channel Phoenix Gold 1000watters in and 1 1 channel Phoenix Gold 1200watter still to go in.

As said turn gains down. Have you got a good power supply to the amp?

Off Topic - Any pics of your C, im around that area.

yea gains are down now.

well the power was fine b4, as it was running fine b4, then i started to crank it up.

no sorry havent had any pics taken my car yet.