Sign in to follow this  
Bobert healetty

ok this car has been one nightmare after another

ok ive been dealing with this car for far to long and it has nickle and dimed me to death for the most part im about ready to blow it up i finally got done replacing the head gasket and timing everything i went to start her up and it was hard to start but it started once it was started there was some white smoke coming out of the exhuast i figured it was just excess coolant/oil in the exhuast from the previous blown headgasket so i let it idle for about 2 minutes the smoke started to get a little thicker but not much i checked under the car for any leaks and thats when i noticed LOTS of fuel just pouring out of the fuel tank

so i shut the car off pulled cover over the gas tank from inside the hatch everything looks good...checked under the car nothing out of the ordinary?....i only had the car running for about 2-3 minutes and the engine got very hot within those 3 minutes..so hot that it burned my hand when i touched the valve cover...

i have a feeling the head gasket blew AGAIN and now my fuel tank is leaking like a mother f***er

i am going broke trying to fix this car ive owned the car for about 2 months now and have only drivin it for a week the rest of the time ive been fixing stuff...the supercharger blew 4 oil seals i blew a head gasket, and i may have blown this brand new head gasket, i just cant beleive this

also some information you guys should know

this engine has been so molested that no professional shops will touch the car...

its not stock but it is the g60 engine pg block bored to 83mm with 82.9mm Ross Racing custom forged pistons WITH FLAT TOPS this has raised the compression ALOT the head has also been shaved to the maximum that the g60 head can be shaved to i did have the head rebuilt while i was doing the head gasket, it has a 262º cam shaft stock rods with an oem head gasket...when the head gasket blew before once i pulled the head off it had 2 OEM metal headgaskets shimmed together...theres something up with this engine and i dont know what it is but it is costing me alot of money and it does not want me to fix it for some reason

i tried to provide as much information as possible because i really need some help/advice it is always appreciated if you need to know anything else please ask thanks in advance for any of the help that i receive

hello Bobert healetty, sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your G, it certainly looks like you engine has been fettled to the point of unserviceable, tbh i havent had much experience with your type engine but have a good foundation in the engineering principles in how an engine works, the problem with buying someone else`s project is that you are also buying someone elses`s problem, from the information i have read on your post i`d say that the compression ratio is far too high, it should be around the 8:1 mark to allow for the increased volumetric effiency delivered from the charger, there is every chance the head could be overskimmed. I`m not sure about the contour of the top of the original pistons so i cant really comment except to say that the tolerance on the bore size seems a bit tight, aluminium expands more per degree centigrade than the cast iron at the same temp around it, sounds like a recipe for a siezure sooner or later, i`m used to seeing a good mm or thereabouts sized gap around the crown of the pistons ...... seeing as there could be more problems than meets the eye with this engine i`d be tempted to resign it to the corner of the workshop and put in a good 2nd hand unit, it`s more dollar being shelled out i know but i dont think you have much choice tbh, i personally would rather be driving it than fixing it ( or worrying if it will make it home !!! ) best of luck to you bob

hello Bobert healetty, sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your G, it certainly looks like you engine has been fettled to the point of unserviceable, tbh i havent had much experience with your type engine but have a good foundation in the engineering principles in how an engine works, the problem with buying someone else`s project is that you are also buying someone elses`s problem, from the information i have read on your post i`d say that the compression ratio is far too high, it should be around the 8:1 mark to allow for the increased volumetric effiency delivered from the charger, there is every chance the head could be overskimmed. I`m not sure about the contour of the top of the original pistons so i cant really comment except to say that the tolerance on the bore size seems a bit tight, aluminium expands more per degree centigrade than the cast iron at the same temp around it, sounds like a recipe for a siezure sooner or later, i`m used to seeing a good mm or thereabouts sized gap around the crown of the pistons ...... seeing as there could be more problems than meets the eye with this engine i`d be tempted to resign it to the corner of the workshop and put in a good 2nd hand unit, it`s more dollar being shelled out i know but i dont think you have much choice tbh, i personally would rather be driving it than fixing it ( or worrying if it will make it home !!! ) best of luck to you bob

yea i agree the engine has been tampered with so much that i dont even know what the hell the deal with it is...i already sold the supercharger because theres no way i could put it on this motor due to the high compression...i do know the stock g60 pistons are supposed to be concaved/dished and the pistons that are in my engine are completely flat ..i deffinatly bought someone elses problems and i really cant deal with it anymore but i also cant just sell the car because it doesnt run..i lvoe the car i love how it looks but its sitting outside collecting pollen in my carport and it seems that everyday i go and work on it i find a new scratch or a new chip in the brand new paint....and im not even driving it this sucks it is bleeding me dry(money and energy wise) i cant afford to keep throwing parts at it and from all the money ive put into it i can no longer afford a new/second hand motor plus the install...i also dont have the proper tools nor time to install another engine so i would have to pay someone if i went that route and i cant really afford that so i guess i dont know what to do im a college student with a crappy paying job and bills to pay now i dont even have transportation because of this car i am at a complete loss right now and dont know what to do

i can see your frustration bob, one suggestion i could make is perhaps to sell what you got now, try and put a few $`s away and get another G another day, the longer she sits under the car port, the more things are going to be needing attention ie. brakes etc, i`d imagine there are quite a few of them over your way, they arent going away anytime soon, maybe this has been a bit of a learning curve :( and you wont be alone mate, we`ve all been there at some stage .... i know i have :) i appreciate you are probaly reluctant to do this but you wont always be in the same circumstances that you are in now, youre going to laugh about this sometime in the future, believe me, we all have tales of woe when it comes to car ownership :lol:

id swap in a good used complete engine and sell that one for whatever you can. that way you know its all stock parts.

i know how you feel about throwing $$$$ away

I think a lot of us on here know that feeling - I could have bought a Storm for the money mines cost me :roll:

It is all worth it in the end though... mines been running right for 2 weeks now after 2.5 years of one problem leading to another! Still, nothing gives the same grin factor as a C at full pelt!

I think a lot of us on here know that feeling - I could have bought a Storm for the money mines cost me :roll:

It is all worth it in the end though... mines been running right for 2 weeks now after 2.5 years of one problem leading to another! Still, nothing gives the same grin factor as a C at full pelt!

yep my 60 has cost me over a grand in the last 4 months. Previous owner claimed to be a mechanic??? Man I would not let him near my nippers pedal trike. My engine is supossed to be at 1.9 seems to run well. That is when it has :mad: Head rebuilt and skimmed due to warpige. Charger rebuilt new throttle plate new front bearings, gearbox rebuilt. I think these cars really need to be owned by caring owners. Like folks on here. God help what is left on the Rd when the BOYZ get hold of em. These cars are rare but some are low in price and in the bracket of the Ripspeed crew :roll:

I say sell yr cam and sell what ya can get a standard engine and then it yr project. I have done alot on a half wits project..God I hope she runs well :roll: