Sign in to follow this  
selbekk

and the motor goes tickticktick

My motor has begun to tick. Now, it's not really bad, like sierras, but it still sounds like my car is old and crappy, which is isn't! (well, at least not crappy) What does this sound mean? it's not even there all the time, it comes and goes. Any ideas?

I once had a similar thing with an old scirocco. Spent around 80 quid on new tappets. Still ticking! ARRRGGGHHH. Bought new camshaft £120. STILL TICKING AAAARRRRGHHHH!!! Turned out it was the cambelt tensioner £9. Mine was also intermintant. Would recommend checking here first! Basically work in the opposite direction to me, much cheaper!!

was expecting you to say "tick BOOM!" there...

anyway, like **stan** says do the cheap stuff first like the tensioner, and change the oil & filter if it hasn't been done recently

hehe nah the engine is actually sounding great!

the cambelt tensioner, is that the spring assembly by the alternator?

and what is tappets? since I'm norwegian and all ;)

Hydraulic thingies! Sometimes called cam followers. These are round things that sit on top of the valves that the cam lobes run on. The cambelt tensioner can be found under the cambelt cover (plastic thing next to the rocker cover on the right hand side of your block). This is usually held in place by some clips and quite easy to remove. The tensioner looks like a pulley wheel and is approx 100mm in diameter on an eccentric cam for adjustment.

Would assume it's something to do with either waterpump, altenator or charger etc, but having never had a go at g60 lump I couldn't give you an absolute answer.

Sorry you said left side didn't you? Are we talking left side stood infront of car head in bonnet???

Not a clue then. I know theres alot of pipe work in that area for the intake system, but not having a g60 I don't think I can help any further. Good luck though.

ok. so what's the spring thing on the left side then?

What that looks like a shock absorber??? If that is it then its the charger belt tensioner. Takes up slack on the looping path of the belt.

The cam belt tensioner is below the can sprocket. Where the belt dips in and rounds a small pulley wheel. It has an offset nut two small holes.

The above is if your not taking the P**** :lol:

hehe I wasn't taking no piss, 2_Door_fun, I am just ignorant. Thx for clearing that up for me :) I'll try changing the oil first, once I get around to it.

My engine started ticking on the way home from work last week. I noticed my oil level was somewhat low, so I refilled a little, without improvement. The next morning it was fine, but started ticking again after around 20 kilometers.

My engine seems to start ticking every time it gets hot. (It actually has to be hot a little while.) This seems to happen regularly.

I changed the oil a couple of months ago, using a 10W40 oil. It's a 2.0l 16V (9A) engine.