Sign in to follow this  
Dec

Dec's 1.8 16v Turbo project!

Just got the new engine delivered this afternoon, so I figured I'd stick it up here :-P

PICT0056.jpg

Fully rebuilt block and head using S2 conrods and Turbotechnics pistons. Comp ratio of 7.8:1 apparently.

t_imag0033_1_184.jpg

Should go nicely with the tubular manifold I got a few months back.

Also have the K-star unit and a few other bits bought......so the collection is starting to come together....finally :lol: :-P

Oooh, need to watch this closely! 8)

[/envy]

How much did the engine set you back dude? (If you don't mind me askin.....)

Cheers lads :wink:

I'm still collecting parts together, so I wont start the actual work for a few months yet!

Engine was another one of my Fleabay bargains! Just over £300 delivered to me :D (Just slightly more than the manifold cost :roll: )

:lol: :lol: ...I've been a member for 2 and a half years, and there are no pics of my car up here :oops:

If the weather is nice over the w'end I'll give it a clean and stick a few shots up!

:lol: :lol: ...I've been a member for 2 and a half years, and there are no pics of my car up here :oops:

If the weather is nice over the w'end I'll give it a clean and stick a few shots up!

I should bloody hope so too!! :lol:

300 quid, that is a total bargain! Skills. 8)

Thats what I thought, sure the parts to rebuild the head alone would come close to that! I was looking at paying $1000 ish for the pistons alone aswell....not to mention the rods!

Just kept my eye out on Ebay for misspellings "Carrado" etc :-P :wink:

Well..after years, here's a few shots of the car :D

(Maybe a Mod could move this to the members gallery? cheers :wink: )

Spec so far is:

Exterior:

• Full respray in tornado red (a slightly deeper shade than orig)[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • Side rubbing strips removed [/*:m:6c2aa]
  • Lupo wipers[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • Passat moonroof conversion[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • Third, high level brake light fitted[/*:m:6c2aa]

Wheels brakes:

• Brembo 305mm conversion[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • Custom made braided brake lines[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • PA racing 16" A-Rays, custom fit with orig VW badges[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • FK coilovers[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • H&R 20mm hubrentric spacers at the font[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • Foliatec 15mm hubcentric spacers at the back[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • Pretty much everything else in the arches replaced with standard parts a while back[/*:m:6c2aa]

Engine:

• Still pretty much standard for the moment[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • Polished inlet manifolds and rocker cover[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • Pipercross panel filter[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • Scorpion Boxer s/s exhaust[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • Just waiting for me to start work on the new engine :-P [/*:m:6c2aa]

Interior:

• Black leather (still in need of the doorcards though)[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • About 30sq-ft of Dynamat/soundproofing fitted so far (a bit left to go yet)[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • Blaupunkt Sat Nav headunit[/*:m:6c2aa]
  • Alpine 6x9's and fronts fitted[/*:m:6c2aa]

I'm sure there's loads more which I've forgotten...I'll edit the post when I remember :lol:

PICT0097.jpg

PICT0100.jpg

PICT0101.jpg

PICT0102.jpg

And a quick one of only a small bit of the massive amounts of Dynamatting/soundproofing I've just done on the whole backside of the car :roll:

PICT0107.jpg

Fair does mate that is nice! The colour is lovely, not been a fan of tornado red, but that looks relly nice...good work!! 8)

It's slow progress in fairness! :oops:

The car is still sitting in the garage with the interior gone and the engine half stripped! I seem to be spending most of my time mirror polishing every engine component I remove from the old engine that is going to be fitted to the new one though!

I've got a fair collection of parts witing to go on and be assembled, but its a case of trying to sorrce the correct bits and find enough spare cash to buy them!! and then try to get the time to do it!

Recently picked up a 02j box with only 6k on it and a Sachs Vr6 clutch......So I'm on the look for a decent lightweight alloy flywheel...then I can assemble that and at least start thinking about physically getting the new engine into the car!

Have a small mountain of random small new engine parts ready but a fair few still to go!

8)

Dec, its new beetlw 1.8t driveshaft flanges you need, i also might be able to help you with a fuel rail

Ok, now that the rocco is sold, it's time to get back to work on building the 16vt over the winter!

I'm currently looking for a few random parts, so if anyone had any of these for sale or knew where there may be some of these bits for sale it would be much appreciated! :wink:

1) Alloy 16v/G60 Fidanza type flywheel (available from anywhere outside the US for a reasonable price?)

2) 100mm Beetle driveshaft flanges to fit 02j box (no breakers I've asked seem to be able to supply)

3) Front and rear seats. will be used for a leather re-trim, so any old scruffy/stained seats will do, as long as they are structurally ok!

4) 02j shifter mech (gearstick and shift tower from the top of the g/b)

Finally got some work on the car done today! :D

After a lot of elbow grease, and a few trees worth of wet and dry sandpaper, I got the top half of the inlet manifold properly polished!

IMAG00144.jpg

And the new Pieburg throttle body, with a TPS for the Megasquirt kit fitted up perfectly to it!

IMAG00234.jpg

Also bought myself a new fuel rail in from the States:

9e_1.JPG

And may have sourced a lightweight Billet flywheel too!

http://www.bildon.com/catalog/DetailsList.cfm?ID=10.105.100K&Nav=5

OH!....I also got the headlights tinted, as I had some black paint and a paintbrush in my hands! :lol:

Finally after almost a month messing around with Parcelforce, trying to get them to deliver a package properly the Megasquirt kit has arrived!! :D

Megasquirt II ECU, V3 board, relay and stimulator boards! Plenty of assembly work there to keep me amused for weeks to come! I'll be ordering the Meagaview input/viewing screen once I have this lot assembled and tested!

IMAG0001.jpg

(and a coat button!?)

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...just noticed that too!!....God knows how that got there!!

Looks just like my computer desk does at the mo too! Good skills dude. I see that you went for MS II! Stuck with MS I V3 myself for now.

I was going to try and use the existing relay board in the Corrado myself, although I might have to get a relay board yet.

hi mate im new to this site was thinking of turboing my 16v rado cant wait to see it finished looking good so far mate ull have to let me no whats best cos i aint got a clue