Sign in to follow this  
Dec

Dec's 1.8 16v Turbo project!

i have the exact same problem with ignition swith mechanism. anyone reckon they can be bought new? i cant wait to get back on to my megasquirt stuff!

Spent the last few hours attempting to get it started!

It's got spark and fuel and is 'kicking' but not catching yet. :roll:

Drained all my batteries (and patience) for the day, so will have to give it another attempt tomorrow.

Try moving the dizzy.

Even better use a timing light to find out what actual advance it is using while cranking.

If you don't have one you will have to use trial and error positioning the dizzy until it starts over.

It will start easier using less than 10 degrees.

You'll need a timing light eventually though.

what sort of cranking pulsewidths you running at typical startup temps?

Are you running an isv?

Hopefully we can get you started alot quicker than me and waynos.

I set the dizzy as described in the ClubGti write-up I was reading. Set the engine to tdc, set the dizzy so the centre led was lit and then rotated anti-clockwise until it went out.

New timing light has been ordered as my old one has kicked the bucket though!

The isv has been bypassed for the moment, and I'm just trying to start it on the throttle.

I'll check the crank pulse-width now, as I cant remember it offhand.

Tomorrows plan is to re-check the timing, put some decent petrol in it (as the stuff in there is ancient), and I'm going to recalibrate the coolant sensor tonight, as it seemed to be reading too high a temp value.

Cranking pulsewidths. Not messed around with them too much.....but then the coolant temp sensor was reading 130 degrees. So prob not an ideal position to start from. :roll:

Ps. is there a way to chance to Celsius.......I have little or no idea what temperature in Fahrenheit is, and I'm sick of the sight of it already!

Cheers! It's been a very good learning process.....and a lot of research as I went along!

i agree with dirty torque, recheck your timing can make a massive differnce in starting even if its just a little way off. Almost there now then the fun begins!!!

Cranking pulsewidths. Not messed around with them too much.....but then the coolant temp sensor was reading 130 degrees. So prob not an ideal position to start from. :roll:

Ps. is there a way to chance to Celsius.......I have little or no idea what temperature in Fahrenheit is, and I'm sick of the sight of it already!

go into configurator mode in megetune by doing file->configurator.

then do car->settings.ini->settings

then highlight celcius and then tick the box.

Don't 4get to save.

Cheers!

I assumed the option must have been in the drop-down menus somewhere, if it existed!

3rd evening of attempted starting. Still turns over and gives a bit of a kick now and again but that's about it. Have set the timing enough times now, and it is getting a decent spark when the plugs are pulled. It seems to make little difference what the timing is set at....so leads me to think the non-starting is fuel related.

It has 3 bar pressure in the fuel rail and there is fuel getting into each cylinder, as the plugs are wet and smell of petrol when removed. But the fuel in the tank is probably old and well past its best. Also the injectors although they came from a known good cossie engine, could well need a refurb.

Thinking getting a new set of green-top injectors. At least they will deffo be good, and they will be high impedance too. Also a few jerrycans of fresh petrol will prob help matters too!

Ahhh well......never thought this bit would be easy!

I have found that the kick back is caused by trying to crank the car with Waaaayy too much advance.

I still think you spark timing is out.

Can you post the link for the procedure you are using?

The one from club gti?

Yup, using the Club GTi one, as closely as possible anyway:

http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=53889&page=2

It's proving more difficult than it would seem to get the dizzy rotated into position with the middle led on. The led only comes on once every full rotation of the dizzy, so it's not just a matter of moving the dizzy back and forward with it in position on the head. The dizzy has to be removed and turned by hand until the position just before the led comes on, then carefully fixed back on the head and then turned until the led comes on. Even in that case the led only seems to light for a second and the fuel pump primes.

Even still I though it would be close enough to even give some sort of sign of life from the engine.

Also, I'm using MS extra 1.0.2 so the menus aren't exactly the same as in the Club GTi guide.

It says:

5) Set the 'Trigger Angle' in MS to 70 degrees, and the 'Fixed Angle' to 10 degrees

6) Start the engine, and check the timing

7) Adjust the 'trigger angle' until the timing light reads 10 degrees. Don't move the distributor.

8) Set the 'fixed angle' back to -10

Also the terminology used in the Club Gti link doesn't help. It refers to "Trigger offset" and "fixed angle" While in MSE there is "trigger angle" and "cranking advance"?

Me too!!!!!

I resorted to shouting at the car earlier...so figured I had better call it a day.

Also, while I was out tinkering about with the car, some scrap car dealer pulled up and offered to do me a favor and he'd "dispose" of the car for free!!! Didn't go down too well as you could imagine!

Me too!!!!!

I resorted to shouting at the car earlier...so figured I had better call it a day.

Also, while I was out tinkering about with the car, some scrap car dealer pulled up and offered to do me a favor and he'd "dispose" of the car for free!!! Didn't go down too well as you could imagine!

:lol:

Just what you needed eh.

It's funny how life decides to have a little kick at you when your down.

Just move the dizzy in small increments in one direction at a time until it catches.

If I had done this from the start it would have saved me weeks of toil.

Once you get it started you can then use a timing light to set it up properly.

Will do! Think I'll rope one of my mates into helping over the weekend; get him to turn the key while I tinker about in the engine bay.

Will save a lot of running back and forth between the two!

Here's the .msq file Stu! See if you can see if I've done anything silly :wink:

Erm, I see nothing :lol:

ooooppppps!

Forum wont accept .msq as an an extension....and Vista is a being a pain, and not allowing me to change file extensions (easily)

I'll email it to you Stu! :wink:

ooooppppps!

Forum wont accept .msq as an an extension....and Vista is a being a pain, and not allowing me to change file extensions (easily)

I'll email it to you Stu! :wink:

Have you got a link to the version of Megatune you are using as I've downloaded the top link from here, and the .msq file you sent me doesn't want to load :brickwall: