Sign in to follow this  
Dec

Dec's 1.8 16v Turbo project!

Yeah, a bit overdue an update at this stage!! :oops:

Slow work as usual I'm afraid! I've got the turbo fitted and all the intercooler pipework and silicone joins laid out. I've bought a load of small little parts like the t-piece pipework for the tial bov etc, and finished all the wiring for the Megasquirt.

I had to change my plans with the inlet manifold as I couldn't get enough clearance between the TPS of the throttloebody and the turbo. So, I ordered a short runner intake from Germany....unfortunately the seller was a complete muppet and never delivered the thing. So I was delayed by about a month on the engine build while I waited to get my money back from him!

I've ordered a new one now, so hopefully it should get my hands on it shortly! Then its just a case of getting a custom exhaust downpipe made up and the water injection kit bought and it'll nearly be finished!

In the meantime I've concentrated on the interior. I finished soundproofing the floorpan with Dynamat stuff. I also bought a heated grey leather interior which I have stripped back and am preparing to refurbish and dye a tan colour.

Powdercoated rearbeam is still sitting there waiting to be fitted with new bushings, bearingas and disks etc. But that will be the last thing fitted I think.

I've ordered a new one now, so hopefully it should get my hands on it shortly!

So which one have you gone for as a replacement dude?

Got this one off Ebay.de (Manifold Clicky)

Just had confirmation from the seller that it has been posted out to me today! 8) Should make life easier too as the round inlet to the Vr6 throttlebody should be easier to match up to the intercooler piping than the oval 16v throttlebody inlet.

Just came home to day to find the full leather recolouring/repair kit has arrived! So now I have a 2nd project for the weekend! (1st project being tidying up a few little bits and pieces on the new daily driver)

Seen as a few people were trying recoloring leather interiors, I thought I'd give it a go too! Picked up a grey heated leather interior with all the looms and switches etc from Ebay a while back, and have spent the last week recolouring them a tan colour.

Test fitted the rear seats and cards earlier. Front seats and cards will prob be going in tomorrow. Photos are crappy quality as it was pretty dark in the garage, and I was using my phone!.....but you get the idea! Will get some decent photos next time I'm down there. Altogether I'm very impressed with the results though! 8)

P1020282.jpg

P1020280.jpg

P1020276.jpg

Wow...thats loos cool 8)

If you have leather that is cracked or scuffed can the kit still seal/repair it or does it require a retrim?

Hows the MS wiring going?

Rubbing down the old leather colour to prepare for recolouring removes a lot of the small cracks in the leather.

There was a small section on the bolster of the drivers seat that was scuffed. It now looks 90% perfect, but isn't quite as smooth as the surrounding leather. I'll dig up a before/after photo from the camera when I get home :wink:

Dec, you seem to have picked "70's orange" as you colour of choice! :lol:

Hoping this is just a camera phone colour issue otherwise it could be a very uncomfortable place to sit with a hangover!

Well today I was mostly....

Stripping the two doors and window mechs. Dunno if anyone has tried removing the window motor from the mech...but it's an absolute nightmare of a job to get back together! Ended up having to drill the rivets out from the casing of the mech and threading new bolt holes to put it back together...not recommended! :roll:

It's working much better after greasing the inner mech and the guides/rails. I also drilled the rivets off the rails as after nearly 18 years they weren't lining up as well as they used to, and were causing a lot of friction. After sticking them back in a better position the window is a lot smoother!

I also re-wrapped then wiring in new cloth tape, and dynamatted the inner side of the door. Quite impressed with that already....the door now give a much nicer 'Clunk' when closing 8)

SP_A0018-1.jpg

FINALLY...after almost a 4 month wait, I managed to get my hands on the new inlet manifold! Luckily it came with a fuel rail fitted to it (not in the pics), so thats one less new thing to buy! Fitted with a VR6 throttle-body too! Also means that I should have a few of the other EFI 16v parts up for sale soon!

I can now get back to organising all the intercooler pipework, as I need to work it all around the inlet manifold. The manifold will be removed and mirror polished when I get the time! Also have the new airbox, megasquirt relay board fitted and a few other bits.

P1020293.jpg

P1020303.jpg

BOV wont actually be going there. I'll be hiding it down lower behind the rad.

P1020296.jpg

Starting to get the new slimline fan put in place.

P1020297.jpg

hi mate nice to see sum1 else goin down the 16v turbo route just wanted to know where u got your inlet manifold from and are u using a tubular manifold. as im lookin for the same any info would be gr8 /prices/company . keep up the good work mate its lookin mint

This is coming along nicely, keep the updates coming, looking forward to seeing the finished project 8)

Picked up the inlet manifold off German Ebay. Not sure what make it is as I've not seen one quite like it with a VR6 throttlebody fitment before! Found it after a lot of searching after almost getting ripped off by another German company that failed to deliver! (good old Paypal security centre saved me there!)

The turbo manifold is a tubular one bought from http://www.woodyracing.de. There's actually a photo of it in the first post on this thread!

[*]Edit: Just noticed that woodyracing do an inlet manifold too for 399 Euros

Well as usual have been plodding slowly along with the build! Finally managed to get down to the garage over the weekend, and got a load of little bits and pieces done! So now have the Megasquit powering up on the ignition key and its just a case of getting a TPS and intake air temp sensor fitted now!

Also splashed out on a new alternator, and will be fitting the sump with the oil drain and windage tray in the next day or two.

Not a huge amount to do before I can get the car turning over. Manly getting the exhaust made up and the lambda probe fitted to it. Rest is all just a few bits of piping etc.

P1020373.jpg

Progress-mungus dude, looking really good! Are you using the standard 16v rad? It looks like it. Will that give you enough cooling? That alternator I sold you no good then?

Yeah, new standard rad for the moment with a high flow slimline fan. Will see how it runs to start off with before upgrading/modifying it!

The mounting holes on that alternator were slightly different than standard. But not to worry, it came in very useful as an exchange item for the new alt! Also the new alternators never come with the right pulley fitted to them, so the one off yours came in very handy to swap onto the new one 8)

Yeah, new standard rad for the moment with a high flow slimline fan. Will see how it runs to start off with before upgrading/modifying it

Ok, cool. What fan did you get then?

The mounting holes on that alternator were slightly different than standard. But not to worry, it came in very useful as an exchange item for the new alt! Also the new alternators never come with the right pulley fitted to them, so the one off yours came in very handy to swap onto the new one 8)

Glad it came in handy then. :)

Cheers. I'm just really now starting to get things tidied up a bit! It was very strange to see the interior with all four seats fitted and all under-dash shelves etc fitted today! :lol:

Fan I've used it a 12" Spal :wink:

Dec, where you gonna run the brake servo from?

Funnily enough I was just thinking of that!! :lol:

If you look at the underside of the inlet manifold there's three small pipe fittings welded on, on the throttle-body side. I'll be cutting the two smaller ones off and tapping the holes to be used for vacuum fittings for the fuel pressure reg etc. I'll probably use the larger pipe fitting for the brake servo. Just need to sort it out to accept the correct diameter piping.

The one thing I was wondering about is if the standard one way/non-return valve would be up to preventing boost pressure from getting to the brake servo!?!?....or what sort of upgrade is need there?

Here is a pic of Rajmirch's passat turbo, you can so the one way valve just off the inlet manifold. It looks like a standard one

DSCN1316.jpg