Sign in to follow this  
kevlar

18's on a C?

Hey i've been offered some audi 18 x 8.5 tt wheels for my c

will they fit? or are they just too big? would i need any arch mods?

i have yet to lower it so its standard at the moment.

has any one done this before?

would you go that big on your wheels?

cheers

I personally would steer clear. Not only do 18s make the Corrado look like some kind of Noddy-mobile, they will be so darn heavy that when you brake, the wheels will stop and the bodyshell will fly off down the road.

The de facto standards for MK2/MK3 based variants are:-

15" Overall, the best for comfort and handling but look small.

16" A good compromise between 15s and 17s

17" Can be harsh but make the car look best.

18" Don't even go there!

MK4 variants swallow up 18s no problem because they were designed to take them. Corrados weren't.

Kev

Kev,

Sure that 'cheesy' is gonna be happy to hear his car called a Noddy-mobile as he is on 18's! :(

I'd say that 17's are about the largest I would ever go on a Corrado.. but I like all of the standard alloys on the Corrado to be honest, so if I ever got another, I wouldn't be changing the wheels :)

cool

cheers guys.

i've been offered them really cheap so i thought it might be funny.

i'm running the standard bbs at the moment and i'm going to get them powder coated black (on a white c the look great)

I think 18s look good on corrado, but to fit a rim thats 8.5" wide, you'll need your wheel arches extended

You can fit 18/7.5" fims with not much trouble, you need to roll your arch lips and remove the plasic dirt guards from your front arches

I think lots of people are scared of fitting 18s cause there worried they wont fit but there really isnt alot of difference between 17s

Lets say for exsample a 17" wheel with a 215/40/17 tyre (I know the most common width is 205, but lots of peolpe use 215s with no probs) if you compare this with an 18" rim with a 215/35/18 tyre, the radius is only 2mm bigger

Kev,

Sure that 'cheesy' is gonna be happy to hear his car called a Noddy-mobile as he is on 18's! :(

No offense to anyone that has 18s fitted but I stand by it. 18s just look silly on a Corrado imo.

I just don't understand the mentality of it. VW produced arguably one of the finest handling cars ever, and some folk just seem intent on ruining it by fitting huge wheels. They're more interested in the challenge of actually squeezing them under the arches than what affect it would have on the handling. Wheels are always bottom of my priority list. Start with the suspension and go from there. Not fit 18s and then spend a fortune hacking the car to peices so that they fit.

Steps off soap box...... :?

My car felt awful with the 17's i got with it, very harsh ride and heavy steering.

The car was designed for 15" wheels and the difference was huge but not suprising!

18's are really easy to fit.

i've only had the front and rear arches rolled and front dirt guards removed.

i'm running coilovers and the ride is as good as when i had 17's on uprated shocks and springs if not better IMO.

Cos i moved to jersey and the car had to follow later someone else had to drive it here for me, over 200 miles. that being me mum who was doing me a huge favour. she said the ride and the handling was fantastic.

i've only been out in it a couple of times since getting it here as i'm having a few little niggles with it as some guys will know.

But truth be told i'm well impressed with the way it handles.

has anyone got any side pictures of a standard (i.e. no bodykit) corrado on 18's? I can't decide if they'd be too big or not...

look on members pica.. ive put some pics of mine on there, they dont look too big cos ive had people come up an say @nice wheels, are they 17s?' which really annoys me after all the work i did to get them on :?