Sign in to follow this  
niels

Broke driveshafts in a race. May have damaged Quaife lsd?

Last weekend I participated in a course to get a racing lisence here in funland. Great stuff indeed as I can now compete in most kinds of races. Also great fun to learn a track more or less inside out. as we did about 40-50 laps in total.

Might I add I was the quickest by over a second in the ol girl as compared to the rest of the colourfull field :lol: From new m3's to an alfa 75

So at the end of the day there was a final little race. Being on pole position was only fun for a second or too as somehow the driveshafts bolts had come loose and decided that had been enough. klonk klonk klonk and I was out.

Anyways no big deal as I had a spare set which are already fitted. Just having to drive a couple of hundred miles with a trailer was a bit of a pian as it was just a little too narrow and therefore scratched my beloved bbs LM's..:-(

Then I got to thinking as I had no forward motion left whatsoever and I have a Quaife lsd fitted. Then shouldn't the LSD have at least transferred some of the power to the other driveshaft? As it did not does it mean that the quaife is knackered too?

Niko

From my understanding of the Quaife diffs, what you described is why they are not much good for rallying - when one wheel has no grip at all, they funcion like an open differential - not a true LSD. So i'd guess it's still fine.

yes, it's a torque mulitplier. there has to actually be SOME resistance on one side for it to perform. it will not lock if you only have one driveshaft, or if you have a wheel in the air.

yes, tested her out with the replacement driveshafts I had. She's working fine.

Thanks for the input.