Sign in to follow this  
bighands

What Kinda bolt is this?!

Im in the process of stripping the new/secondhand 2.0 block i have while i await the head back from the engineers, and i go to undo the bottom timing bolt, the one off the crank, and im greeted by this odd looking nut.

Not the nice big 22 odd mm nut i would of liked, so my question is, what the hell is it, what size and where do i get the right socket to get it off?!

Its kinda like a reverse torx, slighty more rounded tho

Cheers

Andy

A normal multispline socket will fit it, i think it's a stupid idea to try to stop people from rounding normal bolts off, looks a bit rusty so it might be worth giving it a good tap on the end with a hammer just to help free it off.

Result, just tried 'normal' socket and it worked?! in all my years of fixing cars iv'e never come across one of these!!!

Learn something new every day eh!

Cheers mate ur a diamond :-)

Andy

I'd get a new one when you stick the engine back together - that one is knackered!

Some on the forum say replace this bolt with a different kind. From a Mk1 GTI or something. Is this a bad bolt or something?

that kind of bolt was a stretch bolt and as such was single use only. If you've removed it, it WILL have to be replaced with a new one.

The replacement which ISN'T stretch is from a DX coded 1.8 8V engine out of a 1982 MKI Golf GTI. You'll need both the bolt and it's washer. It's an 8 sided bolt rather than 12 sided and is re-usable... 8)

that kind of bolt was a stretch bolt and as such was single use only. If you've removed it, it WILL have to be replaced with a new one.

The replacement which ISN'T stretch is from a DX coded 1.8 8V engine out of a 1982 MKI Golf GTI. You'll need both the bolt and it's washer. It's an 8 sided bolt rather than 12 sided and is re-usable... 8)

make sure it's the correct length, there's a number of these crank pulley bolts, 16v ones are definitely longer, and stick some loc-tite on it when fitting.

David.