Sign in to follow this  
localhost.80

1990 G60 Timing F**ked up URGENT! HELP PLEASE

Please help me.

My dumn ass tryed to check the valve springs on my car.

they were ok, but when I tryed to put back the camshaft and

set my timing I messed it all up by trying turn the crank counter clockwise.

Currently I have set the tdc on the flywheel but how do I know if cylinder one is set? :?:

and also the the crankshaft is not aligned becuase when I turn it to the marked arrow spot the flywheel moves and How do i know if the camshaft is set corretly . Please any help will be appreciated. Include Images if you can. Thanks. :cry:

also I have not turn on the car yet because I am scared

you cant get more detailed than that link.

what made you want to check the valve springs.....?????

I guess the problem is that the actual camshaft has been removed!!!

With my request for timing details I was just fitting a new belt.

You can set No1 with easily with a screwdriver popped into the sparkplug hole. Rotate the engine till it reaches max height. However this is no good if the camshaft has been removed.

I think you need the valves on No1 just rocking open n shut. ie inlet n exhaust.

The dizzy and crank are easy just use the previous link to my request. SET THE CRANK FROM THE FLYWHEEL AND THE DIZZY TWIST THE NOTCH TO 12 OCLOCK. The cam will be a but more difficult.

The trying is in the eating of the pudding.

Edit:ahh,see ive already used the pics in the other link!

you want the two dots on the cam pully lining up with a little metal notch in the backplate (behind the cam pully) the dots should be either side of the notch on the backplate.

radotimingandspareecu3.jpg

radotimingcampully.jpg

No your mark is correct. 12 oclock I can see the notch infront of your dizzy arm. The mark you are refering to is just a notch in the cover.

Corrado club of canada

See that link above use it. Mid way down the page will be a Dizzy shot matching yrs.

Noty meaning to be funny bud. You need to really know what you are doing when removing cams n stuff from yr engine.. Lesson learned maybe. At least for the time being

ok I have set the camshaft and the flywheel is also set but what about

the crank pully it moves the flywheel each time :?:

Yes it will move the flywheel. The crank spins the flywheel which in turn transmits power via the clutch to gearbox out to the Rd wheels.

So set yr crank via the mark on the flywheel if ya can't make it out on the pulley.

:D THANKS YOUR A GENIUS! I will check it out now and let you all how it went. I LOVE THIS SITE!!!

Just check the dizzy for me. Can you get a photo of yrs. That shot is Riley's shot... Get 1 of yrs to show me.

Just in case

forums, I used it as a reference to my rotor? why?

Don't want ya dizzy timing out. Basically Dizzy toothed pulley has a timing dot on it. That dot needs to be a 45 mins past the hr so the dot is facing the bulhead. With the dot at this point the dizzy arm will be pointing up at 12 oclock. Below the dizzy body is a bolt you can slacken this off and spin the dizzy body so the notch is also pointing at 12 oclock.

yeah,its looking like the ignition timing is well out...

the rotor (thingamagig :D ) should point to the little notch you can see at 12 o clock.

loosen the 13mm bolt holding the dizzy in the block and twist it round to match.

it will need setting with a timing light afterwards to get it bang on really.

neil.

edit:2 door beat me to it!

yeah,its looking like the ignition timing is well out...

the rotor (thingamagig :D ) should point to the little notch you can see at 12 o clock.

loosen the 13mm bolt holding the dizzy in the block and twist it round to match.

it will need setting with a timing light afterwards to get it bang on really.

neil.

edit:2 door beat me to it!

Yeah make yrs look like Rileys shot. My timing was way out..Previous owner of car :?: Yes thats an easier way of putting it. Get it to look like Rileys photo..

those pics bring back feckin bad memories man... :roll: :lol:

a wrench/spanner should just fit with no probs m8,i think unplugging the connector from the cooling fan may give a little more room.

neil.

yeah, this car has been a pain in the ass trying to get a mechanic with experience on corrados. So I decided to be my own mechanic, Car was running slow every since I got it a year ago(Seriously a 88 Toyota corollas kicked my ass)

Yeah a normal short 13mm ring spanner will do the job. The bolt will not be tight but the dizzy body may be stiff or a little siezed up. It should twist round though.

right i have just posted on the other link to do with this but it looks like there is more of a discussion going on here so here goes!

i followed the instruction to the letter and made sure i knew the exact position of the dizzy before moving it but then when i lined the notch up with the rotor and put the dizzy cap back on the bloody thing wont start!!!

so i put it back to the original position that it was in before i fiddled about with it and it still wont start! :(

this is a pic of the dizzy (without the rotor arm) set in the original position before i moved it at all..... now is this correct or should both the notch and the rotor be facing the 12 o'clock position like in the pictures above rather than the 1 o'clock position that mine is in?

03052006244.jpg