Sign in to follow this  
146 Jockey

H&R

Can anybody recommend these packages? I have my car lowered on Boge and I forget what the springs are. The car is lowered by 30mm and the ride is very hard. I was told a set of adjustable H&R's would solve this. What package is the best as I will have 17" on them hopefully as well. And finally could you recommend a supplier?

Also who other than Jabba does Stage 4 chargers on this forum?

Cheers

Baz.

Adjustable H&Rs, as in coilovers are reputedly very hard and cost sh#t loads of money. Their normal sport springs are more forgiving but need partnering with decent shocks, such as H&Rs own or Koni top adjustables. Stay away from their race springs.

Kev

Thanks Kev. I was qouted £651 + vat, seems steep. What about the Supersport adjustables advertised in the mags. Or would you recommend a Koni adjustable kit. They all seem a little cheaper then the H&R's. I'm just sick of feeling every bump on the road and have no problem spending money on quality if it means a smoother ride.

Baz.

To be honest, the Corrado always was a firmly setup car and aftermarket spring producers are all going to up the stiffness by at least 15%. My factory setup was fairly crashy and uninspiring over cr#p urban roads. You're going to get that regardless because the chassis technology on the Corrado is as old as the MK2 Golf! Torsion beam rear axles are not known for their compliance over closely packed bumps. Try a car with indepdant arms all round (Focus, Civic, BMW etc) and feel the difference!

FK and Koni coilovers have a good reputation but ever since sampling a car wearing Avo coilovers (not the best admittedly), I've always been biased toward traditional spring and damper kits.

I've got H&R -30mm sport springs on mine and Koni TAs all round and on decent quality roads, the handling and ride are superb. On bumpy urban roads, it's pretty harsh. I've had all my bushes changed so it's just something I have to live with.

Kev

Coilover come up trumps if you want to play with the setup regularly or want to dial in some under/oversteer charicteristics to the car. For most people though a good set of quality dampers like koni's and a slight 35mm drop is more than a adequate compromise to deal with the high quality of british roads.

We use FK coilovers which have Koni insetrts in them, the likes of AVO tend to pop there dampers after a year or so leading to expensive rebuilds.

The phalicy of lower = better handling is also a myth, a realtivly stiff damper setting on a 35mm drop will be a lot more comfortable and composed than a -80mm with rock hard damping.

The Boge dampers are not really man enough to cope with stiffer springs rates which causes them to 'stack' on a series of hit. This is where the shock is not strong enough to control damping on a series of stutter bumps and leads to the damper topping/bottoming out.

Adjustable H&Rs, as in coilovers are reputedly very hard and cost sh#t loads of money. Their normal sport springs are more forgiving but need partnering with decent shocks, such as H&Rs own or Koni top adjustables. Stay away from their race springs.

Kev

Interesting, I love my H&R coilovers and they ride very smooth, firm but not as hard as Koni/Neuspeed Race spring set up I had before. Again, i'm sure it all depends on the type or roads you have near you, mine are in pretty good shape.

H&R race springs are a nice product I for one would recommend them for someone who wants a linear spring rate and can give up some ride comfort for handling.

The setup i recommend for people who want a some lowering with a firmer ride but not harsh is the H&R sport springs with Bilstein Sport shocks.

The phalicy of lower = better handling is also a myth, a realtivly stiff damper setting on a 35mm drop will be a lot more comfortable and composed than a -80mm with rock hard damping

Absolutely spot on.

You need suspension travel, simple as that. If you cruise up and down the Autobahn everyday, then fair enough, coilovers on their minimum height is fine but hit a bump and something has to give because there is no travel left in the strut. And what usually gives is your underseal on the chassis rail as the driveshaft hits it!

Kev

I have heard a lot of good things about H&Rs on the mkiv golf so i suppose the corrado should be the same. Also consider Bilstein Pss9s if they do them for the C. Whatever set you get make sure you go to a good shop to get the alignment done, preferably somewhere with full laser alignment. It will cost more but I've heard its worth every penny.