Sign in to follow this  
mtc R32

Ignition Barrell problems

Another problem i'm trying address is the Ignition Barrell...

For some reason, with the cowling off around the barrell... before starting it you have to place your fingers on the plug at the back of the barrell, and pull it towards you, while turning the key on and off to get it to find the connection and start. (Really annoying)...

Now the previous owner said he replaced the ignition barrell, but said the poblem is an easy fix just a srew that needs tightening from underneath ???

Well i've looked all over for this loose screw and can't see what he was on about !!! Said he didn't get round to it as has a bad back and can't get down that far :?

So thought 'd pick everyones brains on hear....

Cheers Marus

Reading through the threads i read about IGNITION SWITCH problems!!! I undone that awkward bronze screw and out come the ignition switch.. Now it looks like im about to hot wire the car!!!!

Turnig the little white box with a screwdriver the ignition turns on and starts the car fine :? :? :?

If the switch was knackered.. then why does it start when its out the barell....

Help

its the switch that wears its plastic and the ignition barrel is metal. if you look at the prong sticking out of your barel and compare the size of that to the ignition switch you should be able to tell by the size difference. Changed one on Saturday cost £20.77 from steelers. glad it wasfor friends C cos am skint this month.

Cheers for that.... I pressume steelers will have to order it in, so i'll check euro car parts and gsf tomorrow.

accordin to previous posts that ive read get an origanal VW one as the others are a bit poor.

steelers had mine in stock. its not just a corrado part its on quite a few VWs of that era.