Sign in to follow this  
red_baron

Radiator support panel??

Hi All,

I had a good view of the underneath of my recent purchase the other weekend when I replaced the sump gasket. To my horror, one of the front panels is almost completely rusted to bits... I think VW call it the radiator support panel, but I'm not sure.

I've attached three images trying to show the panel in question and am wondering if anyone can confirm or otherwise what it is and also where I can get one from - preferably second hand as I don't think VW stock them anywhere in the UK anymore and I'm pretty sure a new one would be a little bit too much money for me at the moment!

The pictures are taken through the hole in the front panel (first picture shows the hole I mean) and are all looking towards the floor of the car, from the front of the car looking backwards. On the third photo you can clearly see the bottom of the new radiator fitted a couple of weeks ago...

Hope this is all clear enough (I'm rubbish at explaining things)... hope someone can help.

Cheers,

Ian

my local friendly mechanic told me it was the radiator support panel... but then again he tried to convince me I had cylinder head issues!

If its the rad support cross member, do you know anywhere I can get one fairly easily? From what VW told me they don't stock any panels in the UK and therefore getting hold of them new can be quite costly...

See pic one - the painted panel at the front is the slam panel

Thats what I though he was pointing at, I'll read it properly next time ;)

crikey... may try and find a breaker somewhere. There's quite a few things need doing that all seem to be in the £250 area! Do you know if it'd be an MOT failure by any chance?

cheers, Ian

Nah - shouldn't fail MOT as it only really holds the rad but may do if the bit underneath is rusty as thats the front engine carrier...

I got one of the last panels vw had, i think every corrado has the same problem. In my opinion it's a pointless panel anyway and i wouldnt really worry about it. i paid 160£ from my local vw dealer.