Sign in to follow this  
PhillT

Calling you IHI guys

here's the thing...not even a month into my build (engines still in bits etc..) I've thrown down the gloves and challenged someone with a Lotus Elan running 250Bhp to a quarter mile race once the C's finished

he's ran the quarter in 12.9 which is quick! it's a 1.6T (unsure what other mods apart from the turbo)

have any of you IHI turbo guys done the quarter? if you did, what did you run it in?

I'm going to be using the VF24 I have, which comes in @ 2900rpm (a little sooner than the VF22) but will only give me around 17PSI of boost

Red top injectors, got some custom pistons from Arias bored to 81.55mm, Jabba Big valve head to go on, lightened Flywheel, knife edged crank, I'll be getting a racing clutch, porting the inlet manifold etc..

will also get a custom remap once it's running but what sort of power do you guys think I be looking at? if I can get above 280bhp I'll be happy, is this going to be too optimistic considering it'll be running 17PSI?

was going to go for a 2.0L bottom end but already have the pistons

any comments/advise would be great

bigben has IHI'd his motor, and I think he is kicking about the 280-300bhp mark, and thats without out any internal mods (that I know of)

You may still struggle against your mate, as your biggest problem will be putting the power down. while you are still merrily spinning your wheels off the line, mr elise will more than likely have fecked off up the strip :)

And also weight - I think the Elan is quite light!!

But as Coxlaad said (although it's an Elan Coxy not Elise) is that it has bags of grip, they are well known for the grip they have and (although make no difference to qtr mile) handling like they are on rails!!

weird - I read that twice and I am certain it said elise!

Elans are front wheel drive also, (well the modern elan is) so it should in thheory be a lot closer, as no doubt he will have the same high power standing launch issues you are going to have.

John Malik at Stealth is your man for this!

His IHI'd 1.8T Corrado (currently at 360ish hp) pulled a 4 second 0-60 at the pod and I'm sure he said the 1/4 was despatched with in under 12, cant' remember, but his car is VERY rapid.

No problems with traction either. FWD, quaife and Toyo R888s.

sorry about the confusion, definately an Elan (it's a 92 J reg) Front wheel drive

had a feeling I might have trouble with traction

LSD's are very expensive aren't they? about £700?

so are turbos, so whats your point?

you would be well advised to build in the facility to put down the extra power you are creating.

i cant see it mate. you have probably the worst 1/4 mile vw. heavy short wheelbase. remember the 20v engine from stealth will develope the power smoother than the 8v too.

its not impossible but very difficullt. put the engine in a golf then go for it with slicks

so are turbos, so whats your point?

you would be well advised to build in the facility to put down the extra power you are creating.

very true... just keen to get it built and another £700 will set me back a month or 2

pointless doing it though unless I can get the power down enough like you say

I did intend to put the engine in my Mk1 Golf, but it would be undrivable as a daily driver and ruin the character of the car IMHO

Yeah there was a guy selling a 270hp 2.0 G60 MK1 on here a while back because as you say, it wasn't a good daily useable car!!

If 1/4 miles are your thing, then build a 1/4 specifc car mate. Take all the interior and unnecessary metal out, wide slicks, quaife etc then go knock yourself out on the strip :-)

Are you running the IHI on a G60 or a 20v?

If you got all those mods on a G60, you should be seeing well into the 280's

The VF24 is the same as the one I have on my G60 and I'm pretty sure you can run up to 20ish PSI (think IHIG60 will confirm this). Besides, if you have a big valve head/flowed manifold, the boost will drop anyway,cos the engine is running more efficiently and using the boost up.

you still have to push the same relative difference though. what will happen is the port will mean you need to work the turbo even harder to attain the same level of boost.

g60dave yeah all this on the 8v G60 lump

I'll be happy if it is over 280bhp.. in fact if I'm honest, I'll be happy if it

doesn't blow up in the first 50 miles :lol:

LSD is £670 from Jabba... but about £450 from the US, probably £550 inc. delivery so that's gone onto the list

If I win the race it'll be the only time the C see's the strip, so will get some video footage.. and I don't win then I'll see how badly the guy with the Elan rubs it in my face :lol:

been doing some reading and the Elan is only 96Kg lighter which I'm happy about! was expecting a difference of 150-200Kg

you still have to push the same relative difference though. what will happen is the port will mean you need to work the turbo even harder to attain the same level of boost.

Thing is, the turbo has to work harder because the engine is using up more of the boost in the system, it's a good thing.

For example, my car was pushing out about 220bhp on 14psi,

I've put a big valve head and flowed manifold on and it's producing more power at only 8-10 psi.

At the end of the day (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) boost is simply unsued air in the manifold.

Ask henny what boost his G60 is running!

yup think of boost as more of a measure of restriction,, if you have an engine that uses up the boost it will put out more power than one running allot more boost,, when i fitted my big valve head i lost about 5 psi boost at full revs just from that and teh car was a hell of alot quicker just because it was "eating" all that available air up

Are you running the IHI on a G60 or a 20v?

If you got all those mods on a G60, you should be seeing well into the 280's

The VF24 is the same as the one I have on my G60 and I'm pretty sure you can run up to 20ish PSI (think IHIG60 will confirm this). Besides, if you have a big valve head/flowed manifold, the boost will drop anyway,cos the engine is running more efficiently and using the boost up.

Well its a VF22 on mine thought yours was g60dave?

Well mine can run 23-24psi and currently runs at 21-22psi

Its ok the boost dropping and your engine working more efficiently making more power at lower boost levels but if you crank it up and have more a measure of restriction it will still make more power as well.

Ive ran varying levels of boost on my engine at 1900cc big valve head stage and the more boost the more powerful it is, simple really.

the VF24 is good for around 17-18psi which should be enough, give's me room for improvement if I want more boost at a later date by putting a VF22 in 8)

ive run a 65mm on my G60 for ages so i know what boost is.

ive tuned t04r turbo on subaru. thats flow not boost. those bad boys would suck in a VF through the inlet.

boost is relative to flow and yes you will make more power at a lower boost level on a good port. less heat less resatriction, what boost. what you will see ona n ihi is less power after a certain boost level. they are more noticable when out of the efficiency range than say a garret and in general its lower boost too.

if the engine uses up all the boost like olly said turbo isn't big enough and the engine will run poor as the cam phasing on FI doesn't scavenge too well.

all in all boost has no relation to power unless you are benchmarknig against a specific item. less boost is better but the restrictive nature of 8v means ususally high boost vehicles make better power.

my turob wont hit efficiency till 24psi so no worries for me.

yup think of boost as more of a measure of restriction,, if you have an engine that uses up the boost it will put out more power than one running allot more boost,, when i fitted my big valve head i lost about 5 psi boost at full revs just from that and teh car was a hell of alot quicker just because it was "eating" all that available air up

That's the problem you get with 16V turbos, it just swallows up boost like mad! The T25 that came with my Turbo Technics kit was good for it's intended purpose. Turned it from a lethargic N/A car into a midrange weapon with very little lag.....but past 6K, the boost just dropped off very quickly. Made about 215hp and 221lb/ft at the most (10.5psi) when I had it, using the standard TT kit + Stealth's fuelling mods.

The new owner of that car increased it to 2.0, added a FMIC and a modified T3 and it now makes 285hp and 295lb/ft with 1 bar. The combo of a larger blower and more capacity has totally transformed it. It was done on a tight budget and he's done really well imo.

I would have done all that myself at some point but I'd moved onto Corrados!

this is all pretty complicated stuff (well it is for me... turbo novice!) :oops:

I think I should get it built, mapped and RR'd and see what it's running

all in all boost has no relation to power unless you are benchmarknig against a specific item. less boost is better but the restrictive nature of 8v means ususally high boost vehicles make better power.

Hence why i say i need more boost and why each time boost been turned up it made more power.