Sign in to follow this  
Storm Monkey

Checkover Needed in Leicester

Following a nearly embarising event with a golf 2l TDI the other day (left it behind, but not convincingly enough :roll: ), I think its about time to get the old output checked out and see if anything needs to be done. Can anybody recommend a reputable garage around Leicester way (I'm a few miles north of Leicester, half way to Loughborough) that can 1) verify output and more importantly 2) understand the VR6 well enough to be able to sort out any issues, without resorting to chipping it, to get a little closer to what she should be putting out? At the moment, its in totally standard form, and I don't really want to go changing too much, at least not until she's in good running order to start with! Or do I just take a day out and go to Stealth?

Cheers,

Phil

Nothing embarassing about struggling against a Golf 2.0 TDI... a tuning box will see one pushing out similar BHP and an enormous slab of torque over a standard VR6! Even standard they are not slow!

I'd also suggest a trip to Stealth if you really want it checked over! :)

It's time to realise that the Corrado VR6 is no longer the fastest car on the road!

Now every hot hatch has more power, and the diesels have twice the torque output and even they're chasing the power figure, too ...

I know things are getting tougher, but I'd still like to know she's in good health, and delivering all she is capable of!

Compared to the silver VR (I think) tht shot past last thursday (A6 northbound, Barrow/Quorn exit), mine didn't seem too hot. It did sound a little modified though!

Phil

I tell you diesels are the way forward... I had an R32 which i thought was the daddy until i have a little play with a Golf AnniversaryPD150... Ok it was chipped to nearly 190bhp...

I raced him through 4 round abouts and could not lose him..

Yep, looks like taking a day out and going to Stelath will be the answer.

You're right, diesel is the way forward. There's a guy on one of the Skoda or Seat forums running a Fabia or similar sized 1.9TDI, pushing out 220ish, oh and loads of smoke! Aparently he'll stop when he reaches 260BHP :shock:

Phil

Stealth is the nearest place for VR6s to Leicestershire. Whereabouts are you? I'm guessing Mountsorrel/Barrow way?

Compared to the silver VR (I think) tht shot past last thursday (A6 northbound, Barrow/Quorn exit), mine didn't seem too hot. It did sound a little modified though!

Phil

You sure that wasn't storm grey :wink: I'm on that stretch quite often and I NEARLY put up a post on the "spotted" thread on Thursday :D

BTT - I still use Stealth for all my mechanical work/tests even though I've moved forty miles further away: "For health see Stealth"

You sure that wasn't storm grey :wink: quote]

Could have been!

I'm based in Mountsorrel, but the C is a second car, so doesn't get seen out that often - certainly not in winter (or did I just not notice summer!). Takes too long to wash off afterwards :?

I guess I will take a day out at some point and go down to Stealth. It'll be due its next service soon, so might have them do that also, and give it a full check over. It's only 3000 since the last one, but that was 2 years ago. I really didn't think 1500 miles justifies an annual service!

Phil

Trust me... Vince and his boys don't get all this positive feedback for nothing :!:

Nice to see another C floating around on this patch - maybe see you again when the sun comes back out :wink:

Yeah, When the suns out and now the house is nearly finished (only taken 4 years) I can finally get round to doing all the things I wanted to do. Finished the Sub install (will post), and the next project will be the suspension. 10 years is a little too long for the original set! Koni and H&R I think!

Phil

i would say Stealth too.

Forget places like Lion Garages, they are only intereseted in making you pay for stuff you dont need, then it goes wrong, and they try and charge you for putting that right. (speaking from personal experience)

Nice drive up to Stealth, and they arent too far either.