Sign in to follow this  
keithmac

lysholm vs eaton vs g60?

I`d like to here from anyone who`s swapped from a G60 to a lysholm twin screw or eaton supercharger.

I think the Eaton (air beater) comes out worse due to the temp gain and apparent inability to boost over 10psi? would an M62 be the pick?.

Also looking for any Lysholm owners to chime in, whats the power delivery like compared to a Stage4 G60?

I`ve just bought an A/W chargecooler setup so maybe the cheapness of the Eaton will swing it..

Any comments apreciated :D

Now i know that there are a number of impressively powered G60's around but what power are you at with yours ben16v?

Chris

its not my car, it`s my mate sams, he`s not had it on the rollers yet so i dunno about the power, i`d say its be 240 > from the mods

ben

never had my car on the rollers but easily keeps up with evos and scoobys.

cars with similar specs in the states get between 205 - 235 hp at the wheels, lysholm chargers give fantastic power dilevery however they are not without their issues....

however they are not without their issues....

Hmmm...Such as? ( apart from the obvious noise thing :) )

Had a Lysholm with no issues and they are so much more driveable than the g lader, the power is more where you need it and a wider range over the revs.

Should do 22psi on 50mm pulley (smallest) but it only achieved 16psi on my engine due to pressure drops in the head and intercooler.

Would suspect the 22psi figure is for more standardish engines.

Still would recommend as a awesome bit of kit and the noise you will really like, i was unsure at 1st but as soon as i heard properly the 1st time on my car i thought yep its mint.

cant you get a silencer kit for the Lysholms to make it little more quiter?? remember hearing a clip of one and it was stupidly loud!

loud but not stupid IMO.

Yes the silencer actually makes it more efficient but as soon as wide open throttle it stil sounds the same apparently.

ahhh, will have to see if i can find anymore clips of the charger in action then?? only really seen one clip and that was a yellow scirroco.... does look like an awesome bit of kit!

one thing i dont understand is people say its too loud yet go on about how they love the sound of their whining g-lader.

End of day its a supercharger and thats how they sound they whine just some more than others.

Heard some highly tuned g-laders sound nearly the same yet people say how good they sound.

Just loaded that clip! thats no louder than my G60 charger?? infact mine may even be louder! must have been looking at a different clip when i saw that scirroco....

exactly. although ive not heard a louder g-lader i suspect yours is close with having a toothed belt conversion.

its bloody loud at the moment! especially with the toothed pulley kit on! and its not too bad tbh... i am looking into maybe swapping the charger for a BBM Lysholm when i next need to get the charger rebuilt sometime next year... as i think it would be the next step forward for more useable power and with a 50mm pulley i should see approx 16 - 17psi top whack with one of these Lysholms, its making 15 psi at the moment with the G lader, so there wont be massive gains in out and out power top end it should be more of a midrange boost i would hope to see by swapping the chargers over??

Sounds right your gonna really take to it i think.

Still notice a top end gain as they are different in characteristics to the g-lader, they just keep pulling and pulling never seem to let up. Where as the g seems to drop off high up.

My G60 seemed to get to 15 psi quickly and then level off with a 65mm pulley, plenty of power but the oil seals couldn`t take 1 trackday presumably because it was being pushed too far at 7000 rpm? (I do take full responsibilty for knackering it). 68mm pulley is ok but it takes the edge off, 78mm pulley`s not worth fitting.

I`ve heard 1 unsilenced video of a lysholm and it really did sound like an american fire engine, but I could put up with that for reliabily.

I don`t do many trackdays, 2 or 3 a year but I don`t want to be doubting the engine when I`ve driven the car 200 miles or more to get there and I need to get back home in it as well.

I have just finished working on a lysolmed car with boost return system and it has quietened them down by around 25% on idle you would hardly know it has the lysolm fitted over a Std car.

Can you fit this boost return system to car car with a Golf g60 type intercooler?? i know the bbm silencer kit only works with the standard corrado g60 intercooler??

Can you fit this boost return system to car car with a Golf g60 type intercooler?? i know the bbm silencer kit only works with the standard corrado g60 intercooler??

Yes Mike we certinaly can.