Sign in to follow this  
destructiv dave

Rallye Intercooler into 2l 16v

Mods,

apologies for starting a new thread, was trying to keep this in my members gallery topic but didn't seem to be getting any answers.

After some advice please from those that have done this mod.

145724143.jpg

Trial fitted Rallye intercooler. Was expecting it to be tight against the towing eye bracket but it sits all the way to the other side causing this issue...

145724184.jpg

This bracket for the slam panel fouled a little, so Bent it down and the corresponding one on the slam panel up

145723343.jpg

145725233.jpg

Picture of the radiator support. Intercooler slots into the hole on the far right, with the radiator in the next hole along, and the intercooler slots into the only hole on the bottom part of the support on the drivers side.

145724163.jpg

This end of the rad slots into the normal bracket on the slam panel, but on the other end it doesn't match up to any of the pressed holes. I also need to get my grinder out to cut off those bits off the front of the intercooler to allow it to slide under a bit more (and maybe the mounting issue will become clear).

Many thanks in advance,

Dave

you will need to trim like you mentioned. It sounds like you are doing it the right way though. it should locate on both mounts without to many issues

nice job, keep the pics coming. Lots of detail shots please, i'm planning on doing the exact same thing with my VR6. Are any mods required to the radiator support cross member? Or just the slam panel?

nice job, keep the pics coming. Lots of detail shots please, i'm planning on doing the exact same thing with my VR6. Are any mods required to the radiator support cross member? Or just the slam panel?

Support cross member has all the right corresponding holes already pressed for the intercooler.

The only modifying of the slam panel was bending that bracket up to make space (doesn't clear by about 6mm). I also need to grind off some bits off the intercooler. There is a post by Henny somewhere where he dtails the area that needs to be cut off.

Darren,

How do I attach the rad or intercooler on the driver's side as it doesn't line up with anything at the moment (or will this become clear when I chop of those bits and mount it in position properly).

Also need to speak to you about a wideband lumenition kit (£150 jobbie).

VR6Trickster,

I am turbocharging my 2l 16v. There are progress pics in members gallery.

Thanks,

David

Why?

Obviously it would 'work' for a normally aspirated engine but it'd be next to pointless. I wonder if anyone's ever put it into practice with before/after dyno runs.