Sign in to follow this  
RichieSounds

Snapped Drive Shaft

Having taken the corrado 1800m to the south coast of spain from london and getting 50 km from my destination we went over some unfinished roads where we bumped around quite intesensly for a few k's. After the bumps the ABS warning indicator came on, so we stopped, and then got going again but the disc on the off side front squealed...

ABS light back on, and disc squealing away. So... took the C to a garage and they took off the wheel to find the bolt holding the brake disc hub still attached to the driveshaft... but the drive shaft had snapped straight off just behind the bolt. (hope my terminology is somehow understood...).

The spanish mech (called Jesus BTW) said I had been driving with a shitted drive shaft for more than a week judging by the colour and other indications of the break. But I wonder if it was the stress of the bumps that triggered the clean snap, and that the driveshaft had been over stressed for a while and this was the last straw.

So how does this sound to you? Needless to say I was freaked out by the mechanic's news - he also pointed out (what looked like surface) rust on the calipers (standard VW ones) and on the axle leading back from the CV joint to the transmission. Spanish cars have little rust so maybe this sight to him was a shock relative to spanish motors.

I've had EBC discs and pads fitted all round. Pads are fine. They're gonna replace the drive shaft that comes out of the CV joint into the hub (which snapped) and also the centre of the hub (within the brake disk) as this has all worn. Discs should be OK i'm told.

They're gonna give the whole drivetrain a good check-up. I've got to drive the car back to england so want to see if you guys have seen anything similar, and ask if there's anything I should watch out for, and if there's anything else I can get the VW dealers to check out. How the feck could this happen? Thanks for any input at all. I feel very lucky being around to write this post.

Sounds like it was just the CV joint that failed then? I doubt the actual driveshaft itself would snap clean in half, never seen that happen.

The hub isn't too bad to replace and get him to fit a new bearing to it whilst he's there.

Not heard of a CV joint snapping like that before. Unless someone really really leaned on it when tightening the hub nut, I can't think of anything else. You might just have been unlucky in that your CV joint might have had defective metal....air pockets in it or something. Happens from time to time.

The garage where I get work done on the car (Gary Ward) was saying he's never seen that happen before too. I've got a few pictures on my phone of it and I'll work out how to get them on here. Just behind the nut holding the hub to the drive shaft there is a pretty clean break.

Looking at the broken bit of the driveshaft with the bolt around it you can see what looks like an air pocket as you say - maybe that was the problem? He's going to replace that part of the drive shaft with something from a golf I think. Does that sounds OK/standard? Do you think I should swap the same part on the other side of the car for a new one too?