Sign in to follow this  
PhillT

Testing the water

I'm getting to the point now where I'm too *stressed* working in I.T. that I want to do something else

loved spraying my Mk1 up and thinking about taking up car spraying (probably just V.A.G)

the only problem I had with the Mk1 was the prep work after getting loads of heat distortion when I welded her up, but the paint was spot on (would have stayed good if I'd known Cellulose isn't completely water tight)

will be getting myself on a few course's to learn the best technique's to prep a car

but basically I would like to find out, who would be interested (If I do go through with it) in getting they're car sprayed? or a single panel?

Prices would be cheap although it would probably take me a little longer to finish each job (prefectionist at heart)

think I might use the Mk1 or the rado to show the quality, get a company name set up and start out in my spare time, and if I get enough interest and people are happy with the quality of work, go full time

all opinion's and comments welcome

More of a General topic, even though it affects the outside of the car ..

I'm pretty sure you'll get a fair bit of interest. There's always people looking for paint work to be done and if it's someone that's obviously going to care as much about a decent job as the owner themselves, I'm sure that will also score very highly!

:? I'll never get the right topic to post in! :lol: Ta

just really planning things out at the moment but it's a job that you get constant results from, and if someone wasn't happy with the work then it's just a matter of sanding back and doing it again

might even go into using water-based paint as I'm told cellulose and 2-pack won't be used in the next few years

got quiet a bit of interest at the moment (including a buick skylark! which is more of a favour than work as I want to do mainly V.A.G) so is looking very promising

going to work out some price structure over the weekend/next week

I'd let you have a crack on mine... especially the bonnet... and as long as your a perfectionist its all good!!!

Best of luck with your carrier change... i work in IT (systems admin) and know it can be stressful at the best of times!!

you might wanna include the subject in the title? ;)

I'd be interested mate, I need a full respray and some welding done. The guy I went to last time does excellent work, but is a little reluctant to weld things as he knows about the heat distortion.

He's more of a panel beater than a welder.

For Example I want the roof trim removed, and a blank welded over the gutter, but he is reluctant to touch it as he is worried the roof will distorting, if you knew what you were upto then i'd let you have a crack.

I can always sue you afterwards ;p

Where about in Berkshire are you ??

May be interested as some fresh paint is working its way up my to do list

Steve

only little stuff but i`ve got a few items that require a coat of paint, i`ve a grille and eyebrow, a couple of door mirrors etc etc ........ something to earn a few bob on and if you really feel your up to it then i can sort you something larger ?

Eyebrows and mirrors are easy to do mate, I did my Rieger myself and you wouldn't tell the difference. They can be done in an evening too, its not alot of work, and paint, wet and dry, and clear coat costs less than a tenner :)

Good place to practice though :)

For Example I want the roof trim removed, and a blank welded over the gutter, but he is reluctant to touch it as he is worried the roof will distorting, if you knew what you were upto then i'd let you have a crack.

i`d be tempted to lead fill the roof seams mate, the heat will be lower and you wouldnt get the cracks that you would get if you used filler, your panel beater mate is right to be cautious about welding up the roof, if you distort that panel then you may never get it straight again !!!

Eyebrows and mirrors are easy to do mate, I did my Rieger myself and you wouldn't tell the difference. They can be done in an evening too, its not alot of work, and paint, wet and dry, and clear coat costs less than a tenner

yeah, i know it`s easy, i`ve done a bit of it mtself over the years......... just wanted to give the fella a break and he dont live that far away from me

I'd let you have a crack on mine... especially the bonnet... and as long as your a perfectionist its all good!!!

Just thought i'd add if you felt up to it complete respray would be nice!!! car deserves it really. its a second car so you could have it for as long as you wanted too. :D

:thumb right: Cheers Gaz

I'm based between Reading and Wokingham

happy doing the odd little jobs of wing mirrors, spoilers etc, piece of cake

prefer not to do welding but the odd patch underneath isn't a problem

got 6 full resprays possibly lined up (only been testing the water a day!)

I'd be happy to, won't be set up to do the entire car for at least a few months though

I'd be happy to, won't be set up to do the entire car for at least a few months though

keep us posted as to your progress fella, i`ll pm you a bit later :thumbleft:

i'm just down the road in Oxford, so keep us posted mate :)

good luck with the venture.

about the roof trim, the guy said he wouldn't use filler as it would crack, and welding might warp the roof, he didn't mention lead, so i'll suggest it, cheers :)

he didn't mention lead, so i'll suggest it, cheers

... it`s the proper way of repairing body imperfections and used to be the old way of doing things before all this plastic body filler stuff, it involves top preparation and applying the molten lead with a `wooden` paddle and a `tame` flame blow lamp, the lower heat will hopefuly result in minimal distortion ( if any ), you will have to obviously have to remove all the headining etc, if your man has ability then the results can be excellent and it`s one of those `fill and forget` things that`s been done properly as the lead doesnt sink or become pourous, best of luck with it mr therapor :thumbleft:

he didn't mention lead, so i'll suggest it, cheers

... it`s the proper way of repairing body imperfections and used to be the old way of doing things before all this plastic body filler stuff, it involves top preparation and applying the molten lead with a `wooden` paddle and a `tame` flame blow lamp, the lower heat will hopefuly result in minimal distortion ( if any ), you will have to obviously have to remove all the headining etc, if your man has ability then the results can be excellent and it`s one of those `fill and forget` things that`s been done properly as the lead doesnt sink or become pourous, best of luck with it mr therapor :thumbleft:

sounds interesting, I would never have thought of using lead tbh.

The guy I use is a proper panel beater, so he prefers to get the panels off and do the job properly, rather than just fill it in with fibre glass (whatever), my wing had a huge dent in it, around an inch deep, and a foot long across the arch, and he got that out, and resprayed it, and looking along the body line you would never tell, even with reflections, its perfect, tbh I was amazed.

That lead doesn't really sound like an every day process, but I will certainly ask.

cheers again :)

Lead filling is what the hot rod guys in the States use for flushing and filling, rather than use 3" think body filler - it's a lot harder to do, but it's better as you're using metal to fill indentations...

The guy I use is a proper panel beater, so he prefers to get the panels off and do the job properly, rather than just fill it in with fibre glass (whatever), my wing had a huge dent in it, around an inch deep, and a foot long across the arch, and he got that out, and resprayed it, and looking along the body line you would never tell, even with reflections, its perfect, tbh I was amazed.

sounds like you got a `real deal` panel man there mate, and they are a dying breed - everyone wants to work in an office in front of a screen thesedays - and i mean no disrepect in that statement, it`s just the way things have gone these days, i`m sure your man will take to the lead real easy :thumbleft:

If you need some lead I've got a fair sized roll sitting in my garage doing nothing

............ so it`s you that`s been robbing the roof`s of berkshire :lol: