Sign in to follow this  
Couzens

Calling all corrado vr6 owner's!

Hi guys,

Looking into the possibility of purchasing one of these, hopefully an M or N reg. However, never had a ride in one so I was wondering if anyone lived in or near the Andover/Hampshire area, they might be kind enough to pay a visit and take me for a ride. Ideally I would be looking for one that is standard so if poss it would help be helpful if a test ride was in a standard or not too modified car.

Would also be interested in any advice/tips you could give about buying/running/maintaining.

Not 100% sure yet about whether I do want to purchase one so a bit of time spent with a current owner would probably make up my mind.

Will be much appreciated if any kind soul can help!

Thanks people :D

I think 10 minutes behind the wheel of a good one is enough to make your mind up :lol:

Be under no illusion, the VR6 can be an expensive car to own and maintain but to be fair, many of it's faults are Corrado wide, not just VR6 specific. VR6 engine parts are expensive. Simple hoses and sensors can be ludicrously priced. Overall though, the VR6 is very reliable. Things may not always be 100% and you may hear some odd noises but the engine and drivetrain are very robust and won't leave you stranded by the side of the road.

There is plenty of info about the VR6 on the forum so I won't waffle on too much here but if you enjoy the test ride then I'd say go for it.

Avoid ones that show clear signs of neglect and abuse. A severly stone chipped bonnet is a sign of a hard life as is kerbed wheels and dented chin spoilers.

If the engine sounds like it's got marbles in the crankcase - walk away.

Kev

I think 10 minutes behind the wheel of a good one is enough to make your mind up

Very true, I have driven alot of new cars over the last 3 years and nothing in the 10-15k range compares...

Corrado's can be expensive to maintain but most are now owned by enthusiasts who want to keep them for a while and enjoy spending money (!?!) on there pride and joy - The way i see it is that new cars will depreciate at say £1000 pounds a year average over 3-5 years and the Corrado prices are really quite stable now as most are around 10 years old, you can't really expect to truly add value to one (except in your own eyes) but find a good one and keep it well maintained and it should hold its worth.

A severly stone chipped bonnet is a sign of a hard life as is kerbed wheels and dented chin spoilers.

I'd agree with the point about wheels and chin spoilers, but not necessarily the bonnet. The leading edge of a corrado bonnet is a magnet for stones and chips easily. Lots of chips can mean the car has spent most of its life on the motorway, which is no bad thing. When I got my VR6, the front edge had been resprayed (at 65,000 miles), and its never let me stranded.

Except when the thermostat jammed shut on the M40.

Oh, and the top radiator hose split on the A3.

But apart from that the only other items I've had to have done are wear and tear items like rear bump stops, front suspension top linkages, front discs and pads, etc. But its not cheap. My first year with the car was expensive. Having said that, I haven't had to spend major dosh at all for the last 2-3 years apart from stuff that's not the car's fault (dings taken out, wheel's refurbed). It just went through its 90,000 mile service and MOT and needed absolutely nothing doing to it apart from the A/C regassed 8)

However, as Kev says, drive one and you will be smitten. Docile and effortless when in traffic, but up for it when you are. And as with any corrado, catch your own reflection in a shop window and you can't help but grin.

Thanks everyone for replying so far. You are getting me interested. My MK2 Golf is so heavily modified and slow that when we looked at the insurance, I would only be paying £200 more for the VR6 than an 1.8 Driver!

As I'm single and young, and I'm told you only live once, I feel its the right time for a sports car. Even so the running costs do scare me a bit, but at least I should have a bit of fun wiping the smug grins of some of the people who are currently zooming past me.

I have been warned of there being a lot of overpriced rubbish out there (Apologies for using this term with the corrado) but then that's the case with most sports cars.

Haven't found one worth viewing yet but hope to soon.

Thanks again for your advice

I would only be paying £200 more for the VR6 than an 1.8 Driver

Yes my corrado insurance was only a bit more than my 1.6 driver and it was actually cheaper that my 8v Gti! If you don't get one now you probably never will as good ones are getting hard to find.

Fuel economy isn't too bad at all on the VR6 and G60 considering the performance increase over the mk2 Gti's. I'd say I average about 28 MPG when my Gti and Driver both did about 30, obviously depending how you drive you can get anything between 15 and 40.