Sign in to follow this  
Blinky16v

9A Injector removal

I'll say this much: if you think the new seals are hard to get in the manifold, just wait until you have to remove injectors with new seals!

Washing up liquid eh... mmmm Was going to get the missus KY out but that'll do nicely.

I lube it up and give it a good ramming home in the appropriate hole... and then go do my injectors...

Washing up liquid eh... mmmm Was going to get the missus KY out but that'll do nicely.

I lube it up and give it a good ramming home in the appropriate hole... and then go do my injectors...

I found some of the seals can 'ride up the shaft' of the injector, out of the waisted bit, when you try to push them in, making it impossible to get them so pop into position.

Well, all sorted. Sprayed the WD40 onto the injector o rings and they slipped right in!!

Many thanks all for the advice, simple job with direction!

Not had a chance for a good long run, but first impressions are good.

It starts and idles better but one thing I have noticed is that it is smoother to drive..

So all in all, it was worthwhile :) I've got a good long run downt he M3 on Saturday morning so that'll be the teller.

Thanks again for your help all!!

My 1.8 16v doesn't have any retaining clips, and my friend's 2.0 16v only has one! I guess they're not *that* important but you may as well use them if you have them.

Picked up my new injectors last night from GSF, so weather permitting, I'll try and get them fitted tomorrow! Been waiting soooo long for new injectors - hope I see some improvements and that it's been worth the wait!

Can't the old ones just be cleaned with carb cleaner or something? Cheaper option...

best bet is an ultrasonic cleaning bath, around 30 quid or so off e-bay, that'll shift stuff that no amount of carb cleaner will get off, supposed to do the job on injectors (search Club GTI forum) I'm going to give one of these a try, apparently really good for cleaning all sorts of small and delicate metal items.

Can't the old ones just be cleaned with carb cleaner or something? Cheaper option...

best bet is an ultrasonic cleaning bath, around 30 quid or so off e-bay, that'll shift stuff that no amount of carb cleaner will get off, supposed to do the job on injectors (search Club GTI forum) I'm going to give one of these a try, apparently really good for cleaning all sorts of small and delicate metal items.

The problem with mechanical injectors is that there's a pin that rattles around on a seat, which eventually causes wear to both. No amount of injector cleaning is going to fix that.

Thinking injector work might help my motor after reading this thread a bit. Experiencing lots of weird problems that i've not been able to work out..

Very slow to start some mornings (turn the key and the revs slowly come round to 1000 and the car is suddenly running) - revs bouncing up and down the first minute or so when idling, sometimes even cuts out - strong smell of fuel when starting in the morning sometimes - and this weird hesitency when just driving around in town at low revs - sort of feels like its surging up and down almost...

Its another thing to add to the little list i'm accumulating of jobs I want to do when I have some money!

Jim, on cold starts do you use any throttle? If not, have you tried it and does it help. I'm wandering if the ISV is a little slow to sort the idle speed out.

Smell of fuel, I take it you have checked for fuel leaks?

Mine starts on the button whether hot or cold, and normaly revs up to around 1200 rpm before settling to a 900 rpm idle. It sometimes needs a little throttle to get it to start, otherwise it just takes a little more cranking.

When mine is cold it does sometimes suffer from flat spots whilst driving slowly at low revs. This only happens in cold weather though.

Admittedly i've not hunted around for fuel leaks yet but thats only really cause it niffs a little just as soon as you've started it for a few seconds and then at no other point.

I don't apply throttle on startup only really because you shouldn't have too but I suppose it would help the car a bit...

After a bit of a diagnosis session with Tempest we had sort of decided the ISV could be fubar - VEEDUBBED kindly sent me an ISV all the way from Italy but it was the wrong type for my car and didn't connect up, and at the minute i've got no funds to go buy a new one.. front engine mount urgently needs attention first :)

Although it will start without it, my car has always sounded healthier on start-up with a dab of throttle. That's pre and post-injector change.

Fitted my injectors yesterday, and although I wouldn't say it's like the difference between night and day, the C does now start much better, didn't need to use any revs, although did take a bit of cranking, so charging the battery up this afternoon. Having read another thread earlier about batteries, I'm now thinking that I should perhaps get a higher powered one as mine is only 54Ah. What Ah would you guys recommend for a 2.0 16v?

In addition to the starting, the drive is much better. Previously I was getting a fair bit of hesitation, but now I can even pull away from 20mph in 4th gear and there is no hesitation at all, just slowly pulls away smoothly!

So I'm well chuffed with the new injectors. The ones I took out looked quite shi**y actually.