Sign in to follow this  
Prostman

12V 2.9 VR6 stock internals limit ?!?

Hi gents,

I'm new here so please be patient with me :oops: ...

Well, I'm a 2 days owner of 12V 2.9 VR6 '92 Corrado and was wondering how many HP can this engine handle on stock internals. Sorry if this topic was already discussed but my brifly search didn't find anything. I'm going to work on supercharging the engine and will reduce the compression ratio due to that. Of course I plan to many other things but trying to avoid failures asking you... So, can anybody tell me in few word if would make a sense to test the stock internals on 1,6 bar boost @ ~6500 RPM (app 420-440 HP) or the limit of stock pistons is pretty lower? I'm bit concerned about the conrods and pistons now...

Thanks in advance guys

Cheers :)

Hi, I found some info in the net and there was mentioned something about ~500 or more HP on stock internals. It was written also that this power is achieved in very well prepared forced induction system and its instalation. Compression ratio reduction of about 8:1 or less and perfect AFR and spark timing. Well I am not wondering myself how it's possible but wanted to find more opinions or confirmation about that info.

As I remember EIP recommends forged pistons for very less power output so is there some misunderstanding, what you think?

... or the stock pistons and rods can really handle 500 HP (@ flywheel) ?

I think there may be something in the Definitive Supercharged VR6 thread up top, although if you're stuck, PM one of the people who have a charged VR who's contributed to the thread, and I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

Good luck with it,

Cheers,

Tom

Guys, thanks for reply and your advises :thumb right:

Actually I was just reading this topic. There is very interesting information indeed and thanks also to these people who wrote all this down.

In case of pistons and rods are strong enough to handle 420-440 HP at flywheel (considering reduced compr.ratio) with the money I could save not buying them many other issues of the preparation can be solved. So that was my point...

By the way, does anybody tried to run his VR6 with Rotrex supercharger (http://www.rotrex.com)?