Sign in to follow this  
wcrado

Setting up 1.8 16v Engine

Was after a bit of advice on the best way to set up a 1.8 16v 'Rado

The car was running like cack a few months ago, as the cam timing was out, but after fitting a KR exhaust cam to use as an inlet, with the chainwheel adjusted to correct the timing, it went like stink! (although the idle was rough as rats)

I then left the car for a week to go away, and when i returned it had lost alot of the poke it had before i went.

2 days later the dizzy managed to chew itself up

so i fitted a new dizzy, along with cap, rotor arm and leads, (didn't change the plugs) but this still only returned it to how it was when i returned from holiday. so, being convinced something mechanical had gone wrong, i whipped the rocker off and re-checked the timing, which turned out to be perfect, cams were still in time and the new cam chain i had fitted was still tight.

so i'm kind of at a loss now to figure out why it suddenly went downhill, and was wondering whether a decent set-up would help, as this was never done after the cam was fitted. i know the ignition timing is far from perfect, and the fuelling hasn't been touched since i changed the cam ~(was running 2.0% co2 before) so apart from getting this done, what else is involved in setting up this engine to run at it's optimum? (i probably won't be able to do it myself, i don't have a diagnostic machine for the fuelling for a start, but most of the mechanics around here seem to know even less than i do most of the time, i always have to tell them how to adjust the fuelling!) don't want to travel to stealth, so can some one out there tell me if anything else is involved?

the idle is still rough, and also, the car stinks of fumes at the moment! i have to drive with the windows up as it gives me a headache. its not petrol, more like exhaust fumes. this wasn't happening when the car was going really well.

also, the car has covered 138k and is still running on the original injectors, would these be causing the car to run crap?

someone help because it feels like it's getting worse. i know a tune-up would help, but would it return it to how it was?

the car has also got a 4 branch and system and has had the warm-up-regulator mod

have you changed the fuel filter recently? Is there oil in the dizzy cap? try changing the sensor on the side of the head that is connected to the isv.

no oil in the dizzy, but now you mention it i haven't changed the fuel filter, and was actually just about to add that i drove it earlier and the fuel pump was buzzing like crazy. sounded like it does when you're very low on fuel, just making a very loud buzzing noise, but i've got about half a tank of petrol.

Fuel pump knackered? therefore fuel pressure problem?

ok so now the car has officially broken down. drove it today, and again the fuel pump was buzzing like mad, but a mile down the road it started kangarooing. cleared itself a few times, but got progressively worse until i couldn't drive it. it never stalled, and still started ok, but had to leave it where it was as i couldn't even get the thing to pull away

still loads of petrol left. is this definitely a knackered fuel pump? don't want to shell out for a new one til i know for sure

is this definitely a knackered fuel pump?

There's a good chance but, if it's still making a noise, nobody is going to be able to answer that for definite without testing the fuel pressure.

took the car to the garage today and the mechanic advised, first things first, change the fuel filter, as it was old and skanky. this will be done tomorrow, so if nothing changes we will have to go from there.

of course there is also the strong possibilty it could be the in-tank pump gone

Well, if the problem isn't sorted with a new fuel filter, I'd be hoping for the in-tank pump to be the problem as it's the cheapest and easiest to change.

Well, if the problem isn't sorted with a new fuel filter, I'd be hoping for the in-tank pump to be the problem as it's the cheapest and easiest to change.

The main pump tends to warble (sound pitches up and down) if it's shot, they can get very loud but still work OK.

David.

Well, if the problem isn't sorted with a new fuel filter, I'd be hoping for the in-tank pump to be the problem as it's the cheapest and easiest to change

as mr BC says it worth checking the in tank pump.

Once had a scirocco just stop. replaced lines, filters and all sorts - still nothing. took the little gauze filter off the in tank pump and ran it under the tap, back on and she started first time !!

Quote:

as mr BC says it worth checking the in tank pump.

It was his idea! Smile

eek! sorry - good ideas all round :-D :thumbleft:

well i had the filter changed today and it hasn't helped at all. as soon as it started i could hear the main pump buzzing like crazy, and hey presto two miles into the test drive it started kangarooing like mad. was lucky to get back to the garage at all

so, tomorrow i'm going to go to the breakers and pick up another one and see if it helps.

a mate of mine reckons though, that if the in-tank pump goes it can knacker the main pump through running it dry, hence it works harder and wears itself out. any substance in this?

Also, could this problem also be the reason the car is not as pokey as it was?

i would hope to kill two birds etc.