Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

G60 Pinking ???

This may be a slight worry??

When changing from 3 rd to 4th the car wasnt making full boost and was down on power, its strange almost like the belt was slipping?? but this isnt possible with toothed belt, the only other thing could be a boost leak maybe?

Its happened twice now, at first i thought my charger was going to blow up but there are now noises coming from it at all, like i said usually the car makes an easy 15 psi, when i was giving it some last night the gauge was only reading 11-12 psi when changing gear from 3rd @ around 5800rpm to 4th?? and when i lift of the throttle and buildup the power agian its making full boost, which leads me to think i may have a boost leak somewhere??

i have also heard that the lambda probe may cause a similar problem?? and as seeing i have an aftermaket gsf item on there at the moment this may want changing?

any thoughts?

*** just had a quick look over the car, found that the ECU vacuum line going onto the throttle body was quite loose, there was no clamp holding it onto the brass fitment, it seemed to move around quite a bit, would this cause any problems??

I have secured it on now and doesnt seem to move at all now.***

hmmm maybe?? i am not totally sure about this one, there are a few things it could be, i ve just got the car back from g-werks, and was fine up untill it happend last night, and it happened 2 times in total, is the map sensor somehting i can check myself??

Just took the car out again after checking the ecu hose and a few other things and everything seems ok! this is looking like one of those annoying little gremlins :wink:

we were seeing varying boost when mapping between 12psi and 16psi. Check around for any leaks also. We dont fix the pipe to the ecu as the brass nipple is very weak and can be easilly damaged if removing slightly out of squre to the ecu.

Checked all the pipes darren, theres doesnt seem to be any boost leaks??

I am starting to mabye think it maybe my lambda probe?? that stainless manifold flows so nicely that maybe the gases are coming out too quickly for the lamba (GSF universal jobbie) to gauge what is going on when accelerating hard up thru the gears??

Its quite a strange thing that happens, when accelerating hard its almost as if its being retarded slighlty,

For instance, i left it in 3rd gear and booted it and it sort of hit a wall and could only boost up to 10 -11 psi, i then lifted of the throttle and put it back on gently and it backfired almost as if it was chucking loads of fuel out, soons as its done that its fine and its shoots off again??

**Another thing i thought of would be the woodruff key and the bolt on the crank starting to fail as i ve heard this happens quite oftenly, and this i guess may also effect retarding/advancing changes & boost differences?? its only happening when engine is under load? would it be possible that the crank bolt / woodruff can work loose & fail and cause enough movement to adjust the timing**

mine ran badly with a universal o2 sensor..prob best to get a bosch one when you can anyway

the holding back bit...could it be the knock sensor pulling back timing? i think they wizz through 1st and 2nd so fast you wouldnt notice it so bad

hmmm they could be it???

Something is pulling the timing back, this could be the problem now that i think of it... is there any way of checking this??

Oh and where abouts is it on the G60 block?

the knock sensor is on the block under number 1 plug area

mine used to hold back at about 4500-5k ? after a few more sns chips its gone now

you could make sure the timing is at 6 deg and you have superunleaded or even run it at 5deg and see if its smooth...then crank it up a bit at a time

Saying that i hav noticed a slight pinking noise when engine is under load? at first i thought it may be the mounts creaking as thats what it sounds like. i am not sure if darren advanced the timing a little when doing the live map?

I am using optimax.

i will put a timing light onto the fly wheel and check its set @ 6 deg BTDC as per normal. if it was pinking wud this cause the problem i seem to be having?

It could well be a timing problem... we have seen the effects of the knock sensor kickin in on the rollers and that could cause it to hold back. If you are hearing a pinking noise then i would definately say you need to look into that.... either the car is running lean or its running too much advance. Do you always run it on optimax???

The Lambda shouldn't effect anything on hard acceleration as the ecu is then in "open loop" mode where it ignores the lambda reading.

I wouldn't have thought it would be your crank pulley either as they tend to work their way round in one direction sending the timing out further and further.

I always run it on optimax, apart from when i am desperate and there are no shell garages around... :)

I am going to check the timing and see what that shows, it may well be that i need to reduce the amount of advance, but will only know this when i can check the timing, If all else fails i will pop the car back to G-werks and get darren to have another look at it.

Cheers for the help guys!

Checked the timing and from what i could tell it was advanced by quite a bit, this could well be why it was pinking, i have backed it off a little bit and the pinking is less noticable but still there....

I guess it would pay to maybe set it up at 6 deg BTDC and see how it reacts??

Just had another look at the timing....

The timing is ok and at 6 deg BTDC not advanced like i previously thought,

I have reset the timing etc anyway and is pretty much spot bollock now.

I am not sure if this is worth a mention but i put £10 worth of "esso supreme fuel" in the other day after i had filled it up with shell optimax, as the shell garage near me was shut and i was very low on fuel after a day of driving... would this cause such a dramatic issue?? Its the only fuel i could get , its not that bad is it??

Another thing that occured to me is that surely the knock sensor should detect the pinking and automatically adjust mixture to suit??

Just took the car out again, and the same thing keeps on bloody happening!!!

It hits a wall and will not boost past 10 - 11psi

it always seems to do it when changing hard from 3rd to 4th, like i said and even up into 5th

as soon as i have changed gear and my foot is planted it just doesnt boost upto properly and has probably half the power??

this is starting to get on my tits now as i cant work out what the problem is, everytime i think what the problem may be i am stumped as to what problem i actually have....

why dont you try it say 5 deg incase you have a really agressive chip?

on mine if you drove to redline at say 90% wot it would be okay...it just did it at wot

as a test i took the timing all the way back to TDC, and that didnt seem to do much, it still didnt seem right.

After a short discussion with darren @ G-werks , it seems the car was mapped on Tesco 99 Ron fuel!!

Now considering that i run my car on 97ron optimax, it means the car is pinking because of the ron rating..

Now this makes me think??? is the tesco stuff better.....

The car does feel a little slower with optimax, and after reading the tesco site thier fuel does seem to be quite good and after a few searchs alot of people running it say its better than optimax and even BP ultimate.

For the time being i think i am gunna whack in some tesco 99 ron and see what happens, atleast it shouldnt pink, giving me enough time untill darren has time to map the car on optimax.

Been thinking..... :roll:

Considering the map has been set a little too advanced... for the time being will retarding the cam slightly (Vernier pulley) decrease the pinking at all?? i know it will to an extent... think its something like 15 degrees on the kent pulleys...

Its just that its getting hotter at the moment and i really dont want to do excess damage to the car even tho the knock sensor should cut in.

I also tried the tesco fuel, compared to optimax its like rocket fuel, the car runs a feels quite a bit better on the tesco stuff if anyone hasnt given it a go yet.

Just check your fuel pump at various engine rpm and watch for fuel pressure drops.

Any healthy G60 fuel pump should do 4bar.

If you are running the stock fuel pressure regulator, then you must have 3 bar in the fuel rail.

Lambda issues will only be related with overfueling.

Does the engine start easily?

The blue temperature sensor is responsable for the fuel mixture, lambda only gives feedback for ECU corrections.

Timing at 6deg. should never pink on normal conditions.

Hope this helps!

The engine starts and runs ok! Its the custom engine map that seems to be the problem according to G-werks, there is too much advance set in the map hence why it pinks, i am just trying to come across a solution that will sort it out for the time being as i cant be without my car, and i certainly dont want f**k the engine up cus its pinking all the time! :)

i had this problem, went down to darren who said i should replace fuel filter, i replaced it (it was the orginal!!) and solved the problem so far, just a thought!!

Mate i think you may have solved my problem!! you legend! the amount of times the car has been run low on petrol and the car is on its original fuel filter @ 90000miles!!

My original problem felt like it was limited of fuel , almost a retardation of some sort, cant believe i completey forgot to check fuel filter..... :roll:

On that note i am gunna change the filter ASAP! as i am now thinking this maybe the source of my problems!!!!

Will let you know how i get on! cheers!