Sign in to follow this  
Blown

ABS

Can anyone help me on this one?

In all the stuff I've read about C,s,it's always said that ABS was fitted as standard to all Corrados.After having the brake fluid drained and replaced the Mechanic asked me if it was fitted with ABS,I said I wasn't sure so he popped the bonnet ,looked around the engine bay and said that it wasn't!

Now I'm confused as to whether my car has ABS or not.What do you think he was looking for and is there a surefire way of finding out if it has ABS or not(Without taking it up to illegal speeds and slamming on the brakes!) :?

Simplest way of checking is look int the dash (to your left) where the fog/rear window heater etc switches are - there should be a big orange ABS light.

On all 1992 or later Corrado's it was fitted as standard.. but it was an option on earlier model Corrado's. Dont know if that helps you narrow it down....

As VR6 says, there should be an orange ABS light by your buttons for fog lights and stuff.. when you turn the ignition on, the orange light should come on as it tests the ABS system.

i take it by your handle its a g-60 you've got?....if thats the case then its 92 model year g-60's that have abs fitted as standard...though earlier ones (i think) had them as a optional extra........if you don't have abs i wouldn't be too bothered...its just something else to go expensively wrong

hth

hey blown,......what part of north of scotland are you?.....anyway near aberdeen?if aye you on for a meet-up?...let me know

hey blown,......what part of north of scotland are you?.....anyway near aberdeen?if aye you on for a meet-up?...let me know
I'm about an 8 hour ferry journey away from Aberdeen-Orkney!

Have tried to come down for the last two meets in Duthie park but work always got in the way.(Arse!) :roll:

Damn!Nearly forgot.I will be taking the C down for GTi International,as a mate of mine lives near Aberdeen and he's thinking of taking his silver 16v mk5 Polo.

when are you planning heading down to inters then?.....as i'll be convoying down approx 5am on the friday...if you're interested that is

also there is a vwccgb scottish region rolling-road day at star-performance(glenrothes)on sunday 16th march(still tbc)....can you manage that?

Won't be able to make the rolling road day as I could be in Amsterdam(don't ask!)

As for Inters,I'll hopefully be driving to Aberdeen on the 8th and then going onwards the following day,so we could meet up somewhere.but 5am?jeez you must be keen! :shock:

Just to tidy this up a bit, the early G60s (up to face-lift ones) were SUPPOSED to be fitted with ABS as standard, but there was a problem with the unit apparently, so not many did get it fitted. If you did get ABS, you'll also have ATC :lol:

Just to tidy this up a bit, the early G60s (up to face-lift ones) were SUPPOSED to be fitted with ABS as standard, but there was a problem with the unit apparently, so not many did get it fitted. If you did get ABS, you'll also have ATC :lol:

ATC ???

ATC ???

Atrocious Traction Control :mrgreen:

It seems to pop up under various names - Dealer's (stupidly) refer to it as Traction Control, but really it isn't.

It's basically an Electronic Limited Slip Differential (which works through the ABS sensors) and only operates below 15mph.

Hardly sophistacated traction control! :spiderman:

And yeah, VR6 only.

So not sure what else the "ATC" above refers to.

It seems to pop up under various names - Dealer's (stupidly) refer to it as Traction Control, but really it isn't.

It's basically an Electronic Limited Slip Differential (which works through the ABS sensors) and only operates below 15mph.

Hardly sophistacated traction control! :spiderman:

And yeah, VR6 only.

So not sure what else the "ATC" above refers to.

its actually only works up to 25mph.....i'll get me coat :lol:

its actually only works up to 25mph

Depends what you read actually.

And I found when, erm, testing it in the snow, 15mph seemed to be when it gave up and stopped trying to keep the wheels at the same speed.

its actually only works up to 25mph

Depends what you read actually.

And I found when, erm, testing it in the snow, 15mph seemed to be when it gave up and stopped trying to keep the wheels at the same speed.

pretty(99%) sure :? thats what it says in the owners handbook...though as its in the car and its bloody freezing i'll have to have a look tomorrow :wink:

That looks a lot different to mine, mine is at the right hand side of the engine bay and the fluid bottle is over to the left.

Maybe its different on older and later cars?

according to bentley there were only two ABS units fitted to the C and they look very similar :?

very confusing :? :? i would agree with joe too

as mine is also on the passenger side(rhd) bulkhead quite a bit away from the brake/clutch fluid reservoir......though i'm pretty sure mine is manufactured by ATE.......maybe nigel's one is bosch? :?

just a thought :idea: ....maybe as nigel's one is from a lhd car that the reservoir is built on top,as this,if its fitted to the same side as mine and joe's would be above the clutch pedal,as i cant see the clutch/brake fluid reservoir being positioned at the other side from the pedal :?

(i'm sure all that makes sense :? :? :? )