Sign in to follow this  
woody

Removing rear panels 91 G60

How do you remove the rear panels in a 91 G60. Mine are rattleling and generally pi**ing me off.

This is what i did so far

1. removed screw from front of panel near sill of car

2. removed plastic seat blet holder

3. removed screw from just below seat belt holder

4. removed two plastic screws from hidden by seat until folded down.

And the bloody thing still wont move :evil: . Please, please, please WTF am i missing.

Cheers in advance

No need to remove the seats. Just pull gently and you'll start to feel where the panel is attached (by about 5-7 small plastic plugs that slot into holes). Once you know where they are, put your hands round the side of the panel near each plug and give it a tug. Once you get the side ones done (down the edge near the seat belt, you can get behind the panel at the other ones. Some of mine were quite stiff, but if you only pull near where its attached and not the whole panel, you shouldn't cause any damage.

Any ideas where I can get those plugs from?

Half took my panel off and haven't got around to replacing them yet.

Sorry no - when I removed my panel the plugs survived so I just pushed them back in the holes. Seems to have worked ok (it is the panel on the other side which I didn't touch that now sometimes creaks. Hmph.)

Any ideas where I can get those plugs from?

Half took my panel off and haven't got around to replacing them yet.

The plugs are integral components of the panel, so if you snap the plugs, you can guess what's coming next.....

Might I recommend you line the steel behind the panel with self adhesive felt? You can buy this from John Lewis or any decent habberdashery shop.

I did this on an E30 325i Tourer last year as that is also renowned for rear end squeaks and rattles. It took me the best part of a day removing all the panels, lining them with felt and replacing them.

When you take the panels off, you can clearly see plastic on metal wear marks and it is there you need to concentrate the felt/foam application.

The effort pays off because after that, my E30 was quieter than my friends brand new 330i Coupe in terms of rattles. In fact it didn't rattle at all. The same principal applies with any VW. Isolate the noise and shut it up!

Kev

you can replace the plugs i did this on mine to stop them sqeeking i bought them from a motor factors and cost less than a quid

hth

funky

you can replace the plugs i did this on mine to stop them sqeeking i bought them from a motor factors and cost less than a quid

hth

funky

Do you mean the metal clips that the lugs on the panel latch into?

If not, then I didn't realise the plastic lugs were replacable. Just thought it was one big injection moulded part.

Kev

The plastic parts are replaceable. You can get them from various motor factors as all manufacturers use them. Dealers don't rip you off for them either.