Sign in to follow this  
Mr Sands

Mk IV Golf TDI

A good mate of mine has not long had his Mk IV and since he's had it, he experiences a periodic loss of power under acceleration. When it happens, he has to put his foot to the board to keep her going at a flat rate, then the power will come back.

It doesn't happen with any particular regularity or apparent reason. I said I'd ask around on here as a place filled with VW knowledge (a number of peeps here have this motor methinks).

It has been back to the garage from which it was purchased and had the air filter changed, which hasn't solved the problem.

Any ideas? Fuel filter maybe?

And what about the second hand dealer's liability to my mate? Any truth in the fact that for the first month after purchase (which we're still within), the dealer is obliged to fix any problems free of charge (as my mate payed £40 for the air filter to be changed under a form of warranty)?

I'd certainly be looking at the Mass Air Flow sensor.. pretty characteristic on those cars for a faulty MAF to result in random dips in the power band and flat spots - and they are known to break quite often, so a bad MAF is definately not uncommon. I don't think it will show up on VAGCOM either so if they use that as an excuse (ie "We plugged it into the VAGCOM and didnt get any faults") then tell them you still want it changing!

The fuel filter on the TDI is changed at every major service so provided it has a FVWSH that should be changed as and when its needed!

Yeah - sounds like a failing MAF (especially if it's an early car) but need to get VAGCOM on it to be sure...

Could also be the BCV (N75)

Which TDI engine is it?

May possibly be turbo overboost which is common too.

Really need to get it VAG-COM'ed, give the Volkswizard a call, he's in B'ham which isn't too far from you.

Gentlemen, thanks for all the advice. It has been passed on to my mate, who has got it booked in to be VAG-COMed.

Will let you know what the results are!

I know this is resurrecting a thread from the grave, but I do remember that I promised you all "closure on this anecdote" so here it is.

It turned out to be the turbo, shutting down due to overboost. A small part replacement did the job in the end.

But oh boy, the arguments my friend had with Much Birch garage on the A49. Run by two brothers who were determined to tell him there was nothing wrong until having to admit finally that there was, but then refusing to pay for it, despite the fact that he noticed the problem within hours of buying the car.

I'd steer clear if you're ever tempted to buy from them!

I'm just glad for my mate! Between us we were really giving VWs a bad name in the staff car park, since we were having to take it in turns to get ours fixed and carpooling to work!

Big thanks to Peakz, Jim and Supercharged for the help.