Sign in to follow this  
jam3383

New charger and other mods being fitted

First of all just wana thank everyone for giving me info when my charger blew up.

Now i have a new charger from the great darren at GWERKS its all being fitted over this week.

Had to source a new intercooler as the one from my previous thread

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41634 was a no go. No mater how we mounted it there's no way it was going to fit and be effeicent.

so i got on to a company called http://www.thsparts.co.uk and got a medium sized intercooler for 120 qiud all in.

Next day delivery so had that today and the process began fitting it all. Also thought i might aswell get an oil cooler kit also from gwerks along with a alu coller for the charger to fit at the same time.

While my car was in bits thought i might aswell polish up the rocker cover, isv, tensioner bracket and alternator just to give that fresh clean look.

Got a few other bits and bobs coming to fit so should b all good once finished.

The intercooler is the hardest part to fit as we have to cut/grind the front valance so it will slide in between the rad and the valance. Got a load of samco and alu pipe for the intercooler so that should be ok.

I'll post some more pics showing what we had to cut/grind to fit the intercooler once fitted, just incase any of you are thinking of using the same intercooler.:icecream:

Anyways here are some pics of what we have done so far and i'll update with any further things we manage to do.

Looking forward to have it all fitted especailly the intercooler as you lot said the differance it makes is incredable.

Thanks again guys. :-P :-P 0X

BTW just like to say that is an awesome price for the intercoolers on that site, maybe not as good guality as custom ones e.g Pace Products, Forge Motorsport etc amd not tailored fit etc. but for the cash, awesome kit and great value, nice one !

Nice IC install. Great price to. keep us informed will be nice to have step by step instructions. Did you have to move the rad or cut the slam panel to fit it?

Nice IC install. Great price to. keep us informed will be nice to have step by step instructions. Did you have to move the rad or cut the slam panel to fit it?

The slam panel will need to be cut.

In the pic see the holes in the middle of the slam panel, its being trimmed back to where those holes are and it will then be a perfect fit.

This needs to be done on both sides.

I will do a step by step tomorro as its all being fitted then.

Good work, that really is a nice price for the intercooler!

Should make a noticeable diference over the puny standard one.

The slam panel will need to be cut.

In the pic see the holes in the middle of the slam panel, its being trimmed back to where those holes are and it will then be a perfect fit.

This needs to be done on both sides.

I will do a step by step tomorro as its all being fitted then.

Cool I was asking as I'm about to start work on a front IC install myself. Using a Mitsubishi IC. I can TIG weld and a guy I know has the kit to move tubes on the IC

HEHEHE

Fun for all. Def better than the standard porridge IC.

Hi all,

Had some minor problems to fitting the intercooler meaning a set back for a few days.

Needed to order 2x 180 degree hoses to complete the alu pipe to the charger and tb. Should be here in a few days, but most of the things have been fitted.

Intercooler now in place along with the polished alternator, new k1 10mm ignition leads, oil cooler and isv.

The intercooler is a perfect fit, meaning no modifacations to the rad as it sits back into the orginal spot.

Used some hea bolts to secure th ic and some copper piping to space it up a bit for more clearance.

Hopefully will all be done in the next few days. Also have a chrome alternator pulley/fan coming to complete the look. Will keep you updated on the progress.

Here are some pics :wink:

Nice.

Do you think cutting the panel weakens it any? Just a thought would it no be wise to maybe weld in a couple of 45 degree supports?

Nice.

Do you think cutting the panel weakens it any? Just a thought would it no be wise to maybe weld in a couple of 45 degree supports?

Was thinking bout doing this but we are just gona put a bracket at the top of the intercooler and attach it to the top of the panel.

Hopefully this will give it a bit more strength.

Hi all, after a few eeeks of thinking this would be straight forward everything is finally fitted and running.

Just thought i would right a how too for any people in destress bout fitting a fmic.

What you will need:

1. Intercooler from http://www.thsparts.co.uk 120.00 quid (includes shipping & vat).

2. Rsr outlet from GWerks around 90.00 quid delivered.

3. 1 x 100mm in length 63mm hose, 2x 63mm id 45 degree silicone hoses & 1 x 63mm id 90 degree hose form http://www.viper-performance.co.uk 120.00 quid delivered.

4. 2 length's (around 50mm) of stainless tubing 63mm id, found at your local metal suppliers or also from http://www.viper-performance.co.uk, around 30.00 qiud.

Step 1: First remove the front bumper, rad/fan, grill & headlights for more room to work.

Step 2: Start by removing the inner ledge of the slam panel with some metal snips, this is pretty easy. This will give you room to fit the ic.

Step 3: Secure the intercooler in place with 2 head bolts and about 1/2 inch of copper pipe (or anything to space the ic up) for each headbolt to raise the ic to give it a bit o height.

Step 4: Then remove the fan from the metal bracket connected to the rad and secure the fan straight onto the rad (one holes will need to be drilled, see pic) you can use 1 hole where the bracket was seured before.

Step 5: Start by fitting the 45 degree hose on the end of the rsr outlet (some cutting of the reducer pipe supplied with the rsr maybe required) and fit the other one to the drivers side of the ic. Slide in the 50mm long straight stainless pipe and secure with good quality jubalee clips.

Step 6: Use the other 45 degree hose for the passenger side of the ic to connect to the throttle body. You will also need to cut the o2 adjuster clamp from the standard pipe ( see pics below ).

Step 7: Fit rad back in with newly mounted fan but move the rad 1 hole to the left of the original sitting place for extra space. The rad bracket (connected to the slam panel,see pic) will need to be bent slightly to get it to fit right.

Step 8: Fit your bumper, grill headlights etc back to the car and check all jubalee's and fixings etc and take it for a run.

Thats should be all :?: :?:

The difference on acelleration is massive and the car seems to pull better on the motorway. Well chuffed with this bit of kit, recomended to anyone.

Sorry bout the terrible how too im not the best at this sort of thing but hope you get an idea of how it all comes together.

Thanks anyways people, here's some pic's that should help guide you through the process.

looking very good mate, and loads of usefull info for people to use, keep up the good work :wink:

Good one.

Great shots. Just what forums need. :D

So how does the old girl run?

She runs so much better, just think me needs a remap now from sns just to give it the full potential of the fmic.

Good work there but how will the air flow be to the FMIC when the bumper is on as its mainly covered up?

Ive removed all the black plastic panels from behind the bumper so the holes just below will give it just enough cold air.

Haywire needs one of these instead of the girls one he currently plans to fit.

Sure you could have squished a larger one in though by the space it looks that you have, prob with a bit more chopping or adjusting.

Wonder what the figures are when RR'd

Chris

It would be worth cutting out your number plate recess (if you have 1)

Thinking of getting a new bumper to cut the number plate recess out but at the mo it has been flushed. bit skint after all that moddin and the missus has just booked a holiday. :roll: :roll:

Probably get one from ebay in a few weeks.

Haywire needs one of these instead of the girls one he currently plans to fit.

Sure you could have squished a larger one in though by the space it looks that you have, prob with a bit more chopping or adjusting.

Wonder what the figures are when RR'd

Hopeully gona be getting it on the rolles in th next few weeks but not untill ive done the recomended 1000 miles on the new charger. Only 400 to go, think i need to go to manchester and back for the day out. :-P