Sign in to follow this  
timmaaah

Roof bars/Cycle transporting

Alright clarts - need a bit of help. Going up 't lakes next month, and gotta take a couple 'o bikes up with us. Can't put 'em in the car, soooo, need a roof rack :roll: . Been looking at the Thule solution with the additional bike bits.

http://www.thule.com/fitguide/carneeds. ... uCodeID=16

Anybody used it/comment on it? Will prob use it on a fairly regular basis if I actually buy it all, but it will work out to about £200 all in!! Holy buttocks! Any cheaper, better or otherwise solutions? Looking at the search, there were some comments about the short roof adaptor causing some problems? - More info please? At least I haven't left it till the last moment..........oh bugger, yes I have!!

PS - Mods - can you shorten that link - it's a bit big - ta (where's that link-shorten-o-matic gone?)

i got a set of the Thule roof bars with the the short roof adapter.

Its dead easy to put on, and mine carried 2 xmas trees no problem!!

The OE VW rack is better if you can find one (2nd hand only)

Apparently the short roof kit is not necessary as there is a location of the rear bar to clamp - take a look at your side window rubbers and you will see two little arrows - it can mount here between these like the OEM VW rack does - someone with the thule kit needs to back this up tho!

I've just been through all this.

You do not need the Short Roof Adpator (477) as the Corrado has slots above the rear windows for the rear bars (there are small arrows in the rubbers to locate them). I wish I'd known that before I bought one. :(

You actually only need

* Bars (761)

* Foot pack (950)

* Fitting kit (094)

* Locks (544) [optional]

Fitting kit 094 has recently gone out of production so you'll need to phone around and find a supplier who has actual stock. If they say they'll have to order them then tell them not to bother and move on to the next supplier.