Sign in to follow this  
mtc R32

New addition to my collection :)

Ok guys just a quicky :roll:

Going to look at a VR6 tonight with 145k on the clock..... :shock: :shock:

mechanically apart from ratling chains and tappet noise, tensioners etc... is there anything else i should look for which has major expense attached to it???

Idd, check the Head.

Head Gasket is the next thing thats going to go on mine (touch would it won't).

Mines on 130k and runs fine :)

good luck!!!!

I was quoted silly money (proper silly money!!!) at the stealers and through Vince for Gasket replacement, as Vince wants to change the chains when he's in there, and VW are criminals (and didn't even know about the chains)

Luckily its had 3 women owners so i'm hoping its never been thrashed when cold, From my understanding this is when the tappetts get a harmering...

I HATE THAT NOISE arrrhhh... (Tappetts)

Fully loaded tho, heated leathers, aircon too on a 1996.. Need s full respray but that doesn't bother me.... Mechanics are far more of a headache and expensive

Sunroof, heated door mirrors, door handles, headlight switch, heater controls, ABS light should flicker then go out. 2nd gear synchro. Mfa must work or walk away (it's been tampered with) I could go on.....................

Good luck

Charley.

Brought mine with 141k on the clock still on orginal chains clutch and head gasket. She runs fine and still makes 197bhp with a bmc and decat.

the *windows should warm up with the heated rear window.

as said above breath on them or feel them.

and yes, cold thrashing buggers up the best of us :(

edit: *mirrors :roll:

Brought mine with 141k on the clock still on orginal chains clutch and head gasket. She runs fine and still makes 197bhp with a bmc and decat.

Me too 184,000 now and still on the same clutch and chains, gearbox is knackered though so might as well bite the bullet and get the lot done at the same time. Might try to squeeze it to 2k if I can stand the noise :)

Luckily its had 3 women owners !!!!!!! you wouldn't be saying that if one of them was my wife, her car's got about a grillion dents on it, she even managed to stove the sill in buy running over a boulder TWICE.

On the subject of thrashing from cold, it's actually quite difficult to do on a VR6, On the very odd occasion I have needed to get off in hurry from cold it has always hunted and coughed out blue smoke and nearly died on me. I mentioned it to my local (independent) VW Mech thinking it was sensor/ computer related and he said it was normally due to the oil being cold and the hydraulic tappetts (not working well at that temperature) letting a bit of oil into the bore, hence the smoke and coughing. That being said I think this only applies to the first minute or so, so there's plenty of scope after that to reck the engine.

Let us know if you buy it.

H8RRA's car came with the engine in bits in the boot!

Nothing is too much of a worry if you are prepared to put some work in though if not that's a different story, most things aren't leathal for it so take a prospective view point on it depending upon the price obviously

Chris

Cheers Guys.....

Sam i just don't seem to be bonding with the G60 very well... I really miss the sound of the Vr6 and the fact its a motorway cruiser...

I like my refined engines than aposed to the G60....

I don't know yet see how this evening goes... I may just keep both of them :) :) :)

mtc - dont be put off by the millage - i bought my storm with 223k on the clock and its cruised along to 233k without any problems - engine is very smooth. It was lots of motorway miles and the car was serviced every 6 months during its life - you can have a high millage VR6 that runs for ages.

I dont know if its just my car - but my VR6 takes much longer to warm up than the 16V and when the VR6 is cold it sounds bad - but once warmed up purrs beautifully - so my advice would be to ensure is warmed up before testing it out - good luck!

3 women drivers? I'd say it may need a new clutch soon then :D

(runs off awaiting a barrage of posts from the female C owners club :lol: )

3 women drivers? I'd say it may need a new clutch soon then :D

(runs off awaiting a barrage of posts from the female C owners club :lol: )

Indeed! Git :lol: :p

On the subject of thrashing from cold, it's actually quite difficult to do on a VR6, On the very odd occasion I have needed to get off in hurry from cold it has always hunted and coughed out blue smoke and nearly died on me.

mine pulls like a mother hubbard when its cold, alot harder than when its hot. Hence my continuing interest in a heat shield and relocation of the Induction kit ;)

The response is ALOT better, I just don't wanna do it and fudge it up.

Well guys..... I've been, saw, and brought it home.

Car drove really well! Tappetts aren't apparent so all sounds good.

My project is to get it fully resprayed and get the chains and tappets done. I want it running sweet so......

My questions are how much is this going to cost? What should I have done whilst the work be carried out?

Who's the best person to take it to around the midlands area?

Stealth Racing - no doubt! They know the VR6 engine very well and are nice and local to you (just down in Southam!)

I think everyone will recommend Vince at Stealth tbh :)

gratz mate, nice one :)