Sign in to follow this  
A5 VRX

G60 owners!

Alright Guys and Girls! I had a JabbaSport induction kit on my G60 until the other day when i swapped it over for a standard air box (never driven one with a standard airbox) now i seemed to of lost my 'whistle' of the charger when booting it, also seemed to of lost my little 'chirp' when changing gear or lifting, anybody shed light on this or is it normal? The car also seems slower and doesn't seem to accelerate as well, could this be in my head as i've lost my sounds? Cheers AJ

Yep - sounds correct especially if you now have the snorkel back in place...

Maybe has lost 1-2 bhp in this weather without the kit...

the standard airbox wont suck in as much air and so you will loose a little performance. this is also the reason the whistle has got quieter :)

If you drill a few holes in the air box, under the air filter, and remove the "snorkel", the plastic ducting that silences the suction sound, you'll get a bit more hp (not a lot though) and a bit more sound :)

Erm, actually any open filter still is and remains to be detrimental to the soft alloy (magnesium alloy) scroll inside the charger !

Open air filters also draw in hot engine bay air.

I therefore seriously doubt any claims as to loss of power when going back to the airfilter box, much on the contrary actually ;-) I'd say, the perceived loss of power is down to the missing noises that you used to get without the box and snorkel. :-)

The snorkel actually also fullfills a need: Making sure the sucked in air gets to go across the entire air filter area, not just the bit towards the front of the panel filter where the air enters the box. Test this and see why when you've removed the snorkel, you get more dirt spots towards the front of the filter than anywhere else.

Tempest

i really doubt that a well shrouded induction kit like jab is sucking in that much more hot air than a std filter and box i know many on he forum say it. What i dont doubt that you do get a few more ponies as it isnt as restricted. as a test feel your heat shield after a hgh speed run mine is generally pretty cool to the touch so id say the hot air rushing round the bay is no contest for the cold (relatively) air rushing in to the filter at up to 70mph!

id go with simiar power figures but a bit free'er with a cone filter unless its warm like now then airbox all the way. gotta sound 100hp less with the airbox though

I ran my G60 for about an hour with the snorkel removed

1. I hated the exageratated drone of the G

2. The car felt like it pulled better with the snorkel in

However, i do like the addition drone that accompanies the smaller pulley :D

must be the noise as the car just doesn't feel as fast! Really used to love the whistle and the chirp but get sweet FA now! So you reckon it's just down to re-fitting the standard 'box then?