Sign in to follow this  
flusted

Intercooler versus Charge cooler

Flusted,later i'll get you a couple of photos of my car's Iveco turbodaily van intercooler set-up,ok it's not a straight forward swap,you'll have to improvise a bit and 1 headlight will not be flush with the grille but they are cheap as there's not much call for them(yet..),unlike the sprinter's version.

looks good keith. is that a pwr core. it looks like what my mate has.

the pump he has is large too. it sits in the wheel well in the boot gravity fed by a large tank.

the rad he uses is a fiat chiqechento one.

personnally id want more water than that. id want 4l min i think. water's thermal efficiency goes both ways. it takes a while to warm and to cool.

we can put it into prospective though. you dont need top spec stuff for most vw. a subaru legacy turbo chargecooler will support over 300hp and over 1 bar boost no worries and thats on the 2 stage 6/14gph pump and small rad.

I`ll see how it goes with the header tank, will be pumped continuously I would have thought, it is a PWR cooler. G60 exhaust temp doesn`t get massively high anyway so it`s not going to put the A/W under much stress, it`ll be a lot better than the i/c I`ve got fitted at the moment at any rate.

Plus if you heat 4l of water it`ll take quite a while to cool it down again, I`ll see how it goes and mod the setup to suite, the pre-rad is quite lage (3 pass) so it should do the job.

here's a pic of my old charge cooler. Do it properly and it adds an 'ooh, thats interesting' factor to the car, if nothing else :)

vw0068.jpg

Ive seen that at bvf 1 year,whats the pink in the water? and why 2 pas bottles? lovin the ghetto fairy bottle!

pink stuff is waterwetter. the japs use it lots but vws leak too much to justify the cost, or is that just mine?

OK, here's my idea. feel free to steal it if you may, because I'm not sure if it'll work and I'm not clever enough to be able to work it out mathematically to prove or disprove it. plus it's a hell of a lot of work to do just to "try it out".

This it what I was telling ChrisVR6NOS about when he had his heart failure last month, so I will say now that I don't accept any responsibilites for any health problems inflicted by this post!

I've ran the idea past vortex, and they couldn't decide either, but apprently the Ford Lightning uses a similar idea so it must work.

Here we go:-

Run a charge cooler, BUT instead of running water through it, use the air con system. Pump the air con coolant through it (i'd have to be pressurised of course). it's more effiicient at cooling than water and air, and the air con pre rad takes up MUCH less room than an intercooler. Ignoring the pump effects, it has to be more than 100% efficient from a cooling point of view.

Get this. you could have it thremostacially controlled, so the air con pump come in when required, or how about this, it only comes on when you brake or aren't at WOT. or if you're drag racing you turn the pump on a super chill the cooler, then turn it off just before you do your drag run so you have't got the pump scavenging off the engine!

I think it's a brill idea but it needs some calcs to work out if the pump could handle it and whether the system could really cope with that much temperature drop. But if a heater matrix and a water pump can do it, I don't see why this can't.

The biggest prob is the effect the pump has on the engine, but that has been thought of, the pump doesn't need to run all the time. or could an electric pump be used?

thoughts and sugestions please!

Now that's a proper use for A/C..... feck cooling car interiors down with it, put it to better use :-)

I don't know if it will work either (and my ticker is still going :-) ) but it sounds like a mighty fine plan to me.

good idea.

no knowing much about air-co. how much gas is in the system. what i did learn with my mates is that at low boost the cooler may not need to be on. it still cools a little but not a lot but if the charge is only low temp its ok. under 7psi i wouldn't use a cooler anyway so aircon system may be a winner.

Makes sense...

I remember a few years ago the americans were playing with what they called 'cryogenic' cooling systems. Some kind of refrigerent cell wrapped round the intake or something....sounded interesting, not sure how far they ever got with it though.

remember Gibber's inlet? that had a charge cooler in it.

your shimmel should run a lot cooler, with it not being subject to so much heat soak off the engine. I'd be tempted to lower the radiator so that the inlet actually gets some air flow to cool it down. are you going to run an phenolic gasket?

Yeah Gibber's manifold was very neat, made by allard motorsport IIRC, so would have been good.

I have got a plethonic spacer yep, well, another one is on the way as the feckin Royal mail idiots sat on the first one and snapped it in half :roll:

I think Schimmel put a cover on the back of his own car's radiator (bit like those flaps the MK1 GTI had) to stop hot air blowing onto the throttle, so yeah I might investigate something along those lines.

What ever happens, getting the throttle away from the exhaust manifold is major step in the right direction!

ceratainly is, and it's precisely why we put a beetle crossflow head on my mate's G60 when we turboed it.

here's a pic of my old charge cooler. Do it properly and it adds an 'ooh, thats interesting' factor to the car, if nothing else :)

vw0068.jpg

I didn't know you could fit the rocker cover on backwards!!!!! Might solve a little problem I'm having.

Well this is what I`m trying out, will post some results up when fitted. I`ve read it`s all down to the Amount of water flow and the size of the pre-rad, I`ll be running 1/2l of water in the header tank + whatever the system takes (2L tops?).

I do mostly town driving so it seems the better option.

f5_1_b.JPG

fileroot%5CJCAFHYOQEESVYYDQSMDW.jpg

d0_1_b.JPG

thats my old rad. small world ah.!

if you use your washer bottle as the reserve. instantly a gallon of water with no extra weight. . just tap fittings in the bottom. easy.

also a point to remember is the pre rad has to be big enough to disperse the heat. so it should be as big as possible. not an oil cooler. a celica chargecooler rad 'just' fits behind the bumper. a rad designed to cool chargecooler water. and cheap.