Jim

Jim's Corrado - ciao to the Fiat! Hello to.. (P64)

Checked and it's not from the top of the engine bay and sticking my head down near the PAS pump, seems to be coming from there. Slightly annoying to say the least. Looks like I best think about getting a brand new one :(

I'd go for another second hand spare... i think you've just been unlucky there, they're quite reliable are they not providing you keep them topped up with fluid?

Is it a ZF or YBC pump Jim?

Later / refurbed [by VW] ones are YBC, earlies are ZF.

40 miles is nothing mate. One of my PAS pumps took 200-300 miles to fully quieten down. I take it you wound the steering lock to lock several times after fitment and only used the proper VW [green] PAS fluid? Loud clattering under lock is normal for up to the mileage I mentioned, but loud, clattery noises just sat there idling is not good....

The pump has been on for about 3 weeks and I have done about 500 miles or so since fitting it at a guess.. it was only noisy for the first day or so then quietened down nicely. Hand primed loads before actually firing up, and fluid level kept right up so did not neglect any detail. Not sure which one it is Kev... just checked it was the same and chucked it on... :(

Chirruping is a hard noise to diagnose on a forum as you can appreciate mate.... I'll be at Stealth this saturday if you wanna pop down? I'll cast my eagle eye / ears over it.

Alex, nothing that'll notice immediately, but 10,000 miles down the line you might!

Annoying I am at my folks on the east coast and not back till Sunday otherwise I would have popped over! :( Will just see how it does on the 130 mile drive back!

That's well annoying :( Fingers crossed it just needs a bit more time to run in properly...

What's wrong with the other normal green power steering fluid?

very good question, I'd say nothing, I've done over 50K on the valver's recon pump in 10 years with no issue whatsoever, I know at least pug 306's use the same pump as the 4 cyl corrados and they just use standard LHM green hydraulic fluid.

very good question, I'd say nothing, I've done over 50K on the valver's recon pump in 10 years with no issue whatsoever, I know at least pug 306's use the same pump as the 4 cyl corrados and they just use standard LHM green hydraulic fluid.

the green fluid has to meet minim standards set by it's euro code... I find it hard to believe that VAG have a higher grade all to themselves, simply because I doubt they would go the the effort. I'm going to stick with my Cheep green stuff... you can tell me told you so in 10 000 miles!

hey buddy, very sorry to hear about your PAS pump issues - that really is crap luck if it has indeed failed. you should be alright to claim a new one under warranty though surely?

especially seeing as Graham fitted it and you'll have proof that it was done by a professional (with a very good reputation to boot).

this may cheer you up a little....

how would you like custody on my M5 for 4 months in the future?!? you're on about getting a 5-series, if you can afford to put fuel into it then i'll be in need of someone to run it round for me while i'm away. you can't really get a much better tester than owing a vehicle over an extended period.

i'm on a 4-on, 4-off cycle right now; currently away so won't be back for a bit. but when i do get back, 4 months later i'll be off again and in need to someone to take tender loving car of my motor - fancy it?

:)

(and the answer to most others will be no i'm afraid! just pre-empting that one in case i get a load of "volunteers"!)

Pete... great to hear from you mate and hope you are well! In the end I managed to get a friend to pop up and help with the fitting which saved me a few quid but thinking I may just get the car to DG and get a new one put on now... had enough of it!

Regarding the M5... well that would be awesome mate. My circumstances have changed since we last spoke so only have space for one car on the drive. But we could sort out technicalities and logistics nearer the time, if it all comes to pass :) it will only make me want to own one though so might be a bit hard to let it go! :)

Be good to see you when you are back mate.

thats a very kind offer pete, but hey thats the type of bloke you are. And jim dont do it, as after driving a well sorted m5 for a few months there will be no way you would keep either corrado, and even a 530i sport would feel very very slow.

Hey Pete, I'll babysit your M if no one else takes you up on it? Got a double garage in a quiet village and it would get pampered :D

Edited by Jim

Kev & David - Slagging posts deleted... it makes us look really pro when moderators start tearing lumps off each other. If you're gonna do that, do it over PM or something please! Thanks.

And now back to being a one Corrado family. Really sad the red car has gone but.. needs must :(

Thanks Jim

Got back few hours ago, cars all safe & sound & tucked up on my grans drive for the time being

Gonna get the rack changed as you suggested & put in for the mot as soon as i can

chris

Coolio :) As mentioned before, the rack doesn't NEED to be done in terms of it being an MOT failure or anything.. it just makes the steering heavy and the old worn track rods make the steering wander on the road slightly - but it's far from being terrible hence never actually getting around to sorting it.

Nice one jim

wont be putting it on the road straight away, so i'll just get it done anyway

drove it off the trailer & up the drive & thats as far as its gone for today

I thought a little update about the fleet would be in order.

I spent a lot of time trying to work out what I wanted to do for my next car. I'd initially imagined I was going to get something like a late 90's BMW 5 series as I've always been partial to German barges. Then I came to the conclusion I'd probably be no better off running one of those compared to just driving the VR - fuel economy would be equally dire, I was sure it'd need fixing just as much, tax would be as expensive, etc etc.

I pondered the idea then leasing something new and small. Cheap tax, cheap insurance, good fuel economy. But I hated the fact I'd be paying over say 2 or 3 years and have nothing to show for it in the end as I'd have to hand the car back!

I finally settled on just buying something nearly new and still small / economical. I looked at the usual stuff - Ford Fiesta's, Polo's, etc. None of them interested me much. And then I thought about the Fiat 500 which I've always liked. I found a 6 month old example just near me at a dealership with only 777 miles on the clock at the right sort of price and after a test drive was really happy so did the deal. Have had it a few weeks now and already doubled the mileage. It's the newest car I've ever owned by far and I have to say 50MPG, ride quality, £30 tax and insurance at less than £300 is just fantastic. I did a 240 mile round trip last weekend and felt just as fresh as I do whenever I hop out of the Corrado after a long drive. And it's got air conditioning and a USB port so I can just stick a pen drive with MP3's in and go..

It should mean now that my outgoings are predictable and I can start to squirrel away money for the future of the VR - like a respray. The VR is now in the lockup as my weekend car and will most likely go SORN over winter and I'll just put the miles on the Fiat.

I'll get a picture or two up when I feel ready to receive a barrage of abuse for driving a Fiat ;)

I expected something on that sort of level. Thanks for your valuable insight.

Nice purchase Jim :D

My ex-fiancee bought a 1.2 500 Lounge back in 2008 only a month or so after they first came out. It was a great little car, full of character and really good fun to drive. The 1.2 engine only made 60bhp (I think) but it was pretty nippy up to about 30mph and it had the benefit of £35/year road tax :)

What spec/engine is yours?

Tis a 1.2 Pop - so poverty spec (not even alloy wheels) - but has air conditioning and the Blue & Me system which is just excellent. I simply can't believe how much technology they can put into a small / cheap car these days and how well it actually all works. It makes the interior of the Corrado feel like something from the 60's! It's packaged together so well - fit and finish is great, the interior just looks superb, and it's very spacious even around the pedals etc given how small it is.

As you say, it's busting with character and even though the engine is quite gutless it does come alive and fizz a bit once you give it some revs! I just wanted something with massive economy and didn't give a damn about performance.. the VR is always there for that, when I need to de-stress or go out for a thrash :)