Sign in to follow this  
pauljs17

Problem starting

My Corrado is having a bit of trouble starting these days. When trying to start the car the ignition clicks but nothing happens. I am forced to push the key very hard into the ignition and after many attempts the car will eventually turn over. On days when the interior of the car is hot, the car will not start at all. I think that the problem lies within the ignition but not 100% sure. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

91 G60 1.8 8-valve.

My Corrado is having a bit of trouble starting these days. When trying to start the car the ignition clicks but nothing happens. I am forced to push the key very hard into the ignition and after many attempts the car will eventually turn over. On days when the interior of the car is hot, the car will not start at all. I think that the problem lies within the ignition but not 100% sure. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

91 G60 1.8 8-valve.

If the car starts via a bump start the problem is most likely to be the ignition switch. If the car is completly dead and won't even bumps start check out the ECU relay.

i had a simmilar probley years ago, after much sobbing about the ecu being faulty i replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch in the key switch housing. its only about £16 but is a bit fiddly to get at the screws holding it in. my way was to bend some watchmakers screwdrivers so i could fit them in to the gaps and then turn them with pliers. worked for me. good luck. :D

I have been told that you MUST NOT EVER bump start a G60 or any car which has a CAT as this will cause fuel to fill up the honeycomb within the cat which will catch fire and at the very least wreck the cat and maybe more...

i had a simmilar probley years ago, after much sobbing about the ecu being faulty i replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch in the key switch housing. its only about £16 but is a bit fiddly to get at the screws holding it in. my way was to bend some watchmakers screwdrivers so i could fit them in to the gaps and then turn them with pliers. worked for me. good luck. :D

Snap... Even down to the bent watchmaker's screwdriver! :lol:

Switches are now about £12 and most stealers keep plenty in stock as they are the same as most of the other VWs ignition switches... :roll:

done mine to,but it still wont start sometimes :( have to start it from under the bonnet

:? under the bonnet??!? how??!?

by the wire that goes to the solenoid,just disssconect it,get another piece of wire touch the terminal on the solenoid and the other end on the live post of the battery..oh and make sure the ignition is on and not in gear :D

Did someone on here do a mod to fit a starter button? It bypasses the faulty ignition switch without having to replace it.

BTW, I have a similar problem. Just replaced the starter and the battery (old one was too small). It has helped loads, but still sometimes won't turn. But if you listen real hard you can just hear the stater whining as it does turn, but doesn't engage on the flywheel?? (lights dim, radio goes off - just the engine doesn't turn) Does this sound the same as the problem you guys ae describing??

with mine the dash lights all come on,turn the key and nothing not even a click,replaced the ignition switch a while ago,i think ill be fitting a starter button in the near future

with mine the dash lights all come on,turn the key and nothing not even a click,replaced the ignition switch a while ago,i think ill be fitting a starter button in the near future

I really don't think that a starter button will help... If you've already changed the ignition switch then it's REALLY unlikely that the switch is the problem... (yeah, they're cr@p, but not THAT bad! :roll: :lol: )

If it's not the switch, then unless you put all new wiring in from the starter solenoid to the new starter button and back to the battery, you're probably going to have the same problems... I think you should check out your "load reduction relay" (relay No.4) which does the main current switching and may stop your starter firing if it's dodgy...

It's either that or, as you said, a broken wire... neither of which will be cured by putting in a button instead of the switch... Time to get out the multimeter and get testing.... :? 8)

Good luck with it either way... 8)