Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

Car vibrates majorly, off and on, wierd I know.... G60

ok so Im driving my car along and all of a sudden I come to a stop, I then take off again and my car vibrates like mad, like I have something stuck in my tranny or something or its just rubbing. If I floor it and take it to 60 really quickly the vibration goes away. it can come back whenever I shift or something or stop. Anyway I put the clutch in and I rev the engine and I get a bit of the vibration still, even tho the clutch is disengaged, I checked the rear motor mount, and the tranny mount and they both seem to be ok, I just replaced all 3 mounts, the front one was ok too.

I cant think of anything, oh my speedo has been fluctuating lately,I did get a cable for that but I dont think that this is it.

if this has happened to you (major vibrations off and on) then tell me what you did and I will tell you if that part has been replaced already.

for all those reading this and saying "oh my god potatonet has another problem" yes I have another problem, I seem to get all the rare problems though.... =-/

or I have something granular (plastic from speedo sensor thing maybe), in my tranny fluid and its causing the nastiness.... =-/ I HATE PLASTIC!!!!!! KSAJDLKAHDLIAJREAJ"FHASDALHSHFAJHDADLIOAHOSI

-.- Karmann designers needed a materials engineer when they designed this car......

Take the speedo drive pinion out of the box and inspect the teeth. The part number is 02A 409 197 and they only cost just over £3 in the UK. Whether you have an electronic speedo or cable drive, (as with yours) the part is the same and a tight cable or speedo can cause them to fail. It is a manual transmission isn't it?

Check the gearbox-engine bolts are tight, i got a funny vibration when mine came loose.

And just check that your flux capacitor isn't out of synch.

its a manual and I am going to get another pinion for it, already ordering a speedo cable,

-.- coxy no its not my joe cell, thats not in the corrado till I get a carbed 1.8L from a car in brazil from 92 and that will fit my O2A tranny, (they used the same blocks)

will check the bolts tho, and I checked the flux capacitor last night, its got plenty of banana peels and potato skins for a while. haha potato

Im having a similar problem with my g60. How low does ur car sit from standard? The cause of my came down to the downpipe rubbing on the anti roll bar an acceleration. Im still trying to remediate the problem just now

The cause of my came down to the downpipe rubbing on the anti roll bar an acceleration.

Is that an aftermarket ARB? - if so check it's fitted the right way round!

I think its tranny related now.

I think it's fair enough for geezers to dress up as birds, if they really like that kind of thing, but if they come round and start doing stuff to your car, that's just plain out of order :lol:

have you changed the oil in the box? just to see if anything has come loose as much as anything? Are the drive shaft bolts tight?

The shame is that the gearbox is a mare to change so it's a labouor of love.

I'd definatelly change the clutch componants while your on.

Chris

oh no no no chris, Ive changed transmissions on corrado's way too many times, it takes me about 3 hours to do now =-). thats a G60 trans too, the heavy one.

I changed clutch 15k ago.

and I am changing the oil in the box this weekend. along with other crap. and checking bolts.

ok so its not the fluid, and its not the mounts (that I know of) cause I just replaced them,

what would happen if my rear shock on the drivers side went south, as in its just using spring primarily? would my exhaust start rubbing really hard?

oh and its not gearbox bolts, those are all tight.

You should be able to see if the fluid has leaked out at some time with the shocker.

It's a handling thing but you get tyre bounce when the shock has gone badly and would notice judder at higher speeds but not low speeds, this the experience i had with one of mine.

Chris

hmmm ok,

well new development here,

if I tap the throttle a few times and let the car jerk back and forward while driving the thing will go away, then if I do that same thing again, (sometimes it doesnt work sometimes it does) the noise and vibration will come back.

so Im back to mounts, and its not the control arm bushings that I know of because I replaced those not too long ago.

Im wondering if they sent me a VR6 tranny mount, would it be too short? it looked exactly like the old mount though.