Sign in to follow this  
Rado__Tom

Poor mpg round town

when i go on a long run the car is fine usually get 200 miles to £20 driving carefull on the motorway.

when i use the car for short journeys 7 miles to work etc im luckey if i get 100 miles to £20 and thats driving really carefully if i boot it i wont get anywhere near 100 miles. But if i boot it on the motorway ill still get 140/160 miles

i know it will use more fuel on short journeys but didnt think this much! is this normal? or could there be something wrong?

cheers

tom

btw fuel costing between 92-95p ltr

200 to 20 pounds is good, i thik i have got the highest mpg in a while in my 2l with about 300 -320 to 40 pounds, combined driving.

my bet id g60 to

i was surprised by 200 miles to £20 too, wasnt expecting that much as i came from a audi a4 tdi but it was busy on the motorway so i just sat in the crawler lane doin 60 - 70mph. Had the car for a couple off weeks now, been on a few long journeys on the motorway and its fine just short journeys it drinks!

Hey Tom, hows tricks.. myn tends to drinks more around town.. maybe get the car setup & go from there...

when i go on a long run the car is fine usually get 200 miles to £20 driving carefull on the motorway.

when i use the car for short journeys 7 miles to work etc im luckey if i get 100 miles to £20 and thats driving really carefully if i boot it i wont get anywhere near 100 miles. But if i boot it on the motorway ill still get 140/160 miles

i know it will use more fuel on short journeys but didnt think this much! is this normal? or could there be something wrong?

cheers

tom

btw fuel costing between 92-95p ltr

you're probably putting the wrong fuel in it, 92-95p sounds like regular unleaded, and the 16v prefers 97/98 RON or more (check your filler flap label!) it could be pinking like hell around town.

1.8 16v's have pretty poor low end torque, so town driving can really drink the fuel, then lastly as it's so old, there are a host of parts that may be worn and underperforming, not least the injectors.

Do you have standard tyre sizes?

I run a 2L block with an adjusted warm up regulator and 1.8 16v K-jet system and have never got below 29 to the gallon on a full tank of fuel with mixed driving, however when it was a 1.8 I did get nearer 25/gal when doing loads of town driving.

This morning the MFA was reading 42.8 mpg when I got to work, that's a few miles of junctions and round abouts and 15 miles at 70-80 on the motorway, generally the MFA on mine overreads by about 2 mpg on a longish run/tankful.

David.

Not sure about the 4 cyl engines, but my VR6 takes about 8 miles to warm up fully. Initial mpg is always pants (about 16 to 20) until she's up to temperature, then we can hit the low 30's pretty easily. Do a 7 mile round trip, note the mpg, then reset the MFA and do it again immediately. I am pretty sure you will notice a fair difference.

From an economy point of view, the warmer the air in, the better (kills performance though), as less energy is used heating it during combustion. As the engine warms, the intake temp will rise, thus economy improves the longer you drive it.

Phil

Hey Tom, hows tricks.. myn tends to drinks more around town.. maybe get the car setup & go from there...

Hey bally how are ya! damo was sayin ur cars down at tims? I did the timing so thats all good now what other setup can be done?

My MFA is showing 26-30 mpg tops around town although i dont think the car is achiving that. And im taking it really easy. I reckon if i give it some im gonna be luckey to get 70/80 miles out of 20 quid. Its standard, just had new plugs,oil etc and its sweet on long journeys which makes me think that something is sticking on as everytime i start the engine the fuel guage goes down more :( . Could the isv be anything to do with it?

What are you on dude thats good mileage, get yourself a G60 drive it hard - drive it normal - whatever you do it will still drink more than you can in such a short space of time 8)

My first C was a 2.016v and the fuel 'economy' was worse than my second C which is a VR6. :?

The VR is great on a run, but around town, its terrible. To be expected on big engines tho.

you're probably putting the wrong fuel in it, 92-95p sounds like regular unleaded, and the 16v prefers 97/98 RON or more (check your filler flap label!) it could be pinking like hell around town.

1.8 16v's have pretty poor low end torque, so town driving can really drink the fuel, then lastly as it's so old, there are a host of parts that may be worn and underperforming, not least the injectors.

Do you have standard tyre sizes?

I run a 2L block with an adjusted warm up regulator and 1.8 16v K-jet system and have never got below 29 to the gallon on a full tank of fuel with mixed driving, however when it was a 1.8 I did get nearer 25/gal when doing loads of town driving.

This morning the MFA was reading 42.8 mpg when I got to work, that's a few miles of junctions and round abouts and 15 miles at 70-80 on the motorway, generally the MFA on mine overreads by about 2 mpg on a longish run/tankful.

David.

my MFA has never gone above 33mpg even on the motorway rolling down hill!!

Don't worry about it and start looking for problems that aren't there. My 1.8 16v is exactly the same and unbelievable heavy on fuel unless on a run. I generally get 30-32mpg average with a mixture of town and local B-road driving; the MFA usually reads pretty close to that.

£40 gets me no further than about 300 miles and my car runs absolutely perfectly. It's just an ancient fuel-injection system invented in the days when fuel was very cheap!

300 miles to £40??

I'm lucky to get 200 from £50

Should I be worried? :roll:

Forgot to mention

its a 1.8 16v

Icon Race Superchip, dyo reckon that could be the reason?

Forgot to mention

its a 1.8 16v

Icon Race Superchip, dyo reckon that could be the reason?

chip on a 1.8 16v???

didnt think that was possible m8?

Is it worth puttin injector cleaner through to see if that would help MPG?

There's nothing to 'chip' on a k-jetronic injected car, the injection system is controlled by the airflow travelling into the inlet manifold, ie purely mechanical. And the ECU soley controls the ignition timing dependant on engine RPM load, temperature. And you needn't monkey around with that, as it's not really going to give you more power. or have you got other modifications?

I Hear that mate seriously mine drinks more than i do which upsets me - it is fun when at about 4500rpm though - aswell as just pimpin round town 8)

There's nothing to 'chip' on a k-jetronic injected car, the injection system is controlled by the airflow travelling into the inlet manifold, ie purely mechanical. And the ECU soley controls the ignition timing dependant on engine RPM load, temperature. And you needn't monkey around with that, as it's not really going to give you more power. or have you got other modifications?

An early golf mk2 16v ECU is apparently a good mod for the K-jet 16v Corrado if you run it on super unleaded, has a more agressive advance curve apparently.

David.