Sign in to follow this  
mr_fusion

Z-Eng. Supercharger hell part 2!

Just when i thought everything was running perfectly.

Remap with stealth went well (252bhp, Vince did a great job), water injection kit fitted - car running fine. Only had the charger about a month and had only put about 60miles on it.

Great I thought......

Drove into work last night at quite a leisurely pace (about a 3mile trip in to central london)

Then suddenly clunk clunk clunk, car stalled. I thought ok, something has worked loose.

pulled over to have a look under the bonnet... and to my horror the shart with the small pulley on the supercharger (that is driven by the small belt) had sheared off completely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Small pulley is rattling around the engine bay and the charger belt is flapping about.

All that came to mind was ... "S**T"

As you can probably understand I am absolutley gutted for this to happen and really don't know what options I have!

If the shaft can be replaced then that would be ideal, if i can get a replacement machined.

Does the shaft unbolt from the charger end (fins) via the pointed part in the inlet with 14mm hex cut into it. I am assuming this is a bolt? Does it undo clockwise or anti clockwise??

HELP!!

charger-in-car.jpg

shaft-in-charger.jpg

small-pulley.jpg

Bummer dude :-(

I think there's a company that can still source Zed parts, can't remember what it's called though. Alternatively, try the Raj meister at NSRacing too.

Hope you get it sorted!

Hi Kev

Do you mean MC Racing in Switzerland ( http://www.supercharger.ch/ ).

I have tried in the past to get in contact with them (when I was trying to source a chip) and they just haven't replied to my emails.

I know Rag has had 2nd hand Z-Eng chargers in the past, might give him call.

Oh how i wished I had done the group buy instead of ebay............

Yeah that's the one and like you, I've also heard they're not very good customer relations!!

I'm sure Raj can help out, he seems to be able to get hold of anything that man!

Good luck!

Right then

Spoken to Vince and he thinks he may be able to help and get a new shaft machined for me.

I have sent him the pics above, so hopefully I may have some hope!

Will let you know how I get on.

Vince Vince he's our man.. if he can't do it, well, better hope that Raj can!

Good luck with it.. looks like a bit of a nightmare situation to be in :(

Yeah, Vince is definately the boy.

Very modest guy.

He said : "he couldn't understand why everyone raves on about him, he's just a guy in a garage"

Nice bloke too.

That's great news, I hope he can sort it for you......

I can imagine him saying that about his praise actually! He is very modest and laid back. I've been going there for 7 years and I learn something new every time.

If MC Racing would ever bother to return my emails than this would be a possibility.

Does anyone know how the blades are attached to the shaft?

Is it splined or similar or they bonded on some other way that makes repair pretty much impossible? Very difficult getting info on this (vince doesn't know)

The possibility that I may have to buy another charger is looming on the horizon and i am f**ked off at the prospect of this (especially as I have just invested so much time and money on the whole set up, charger, water injection, remap etc)

I have taken some more pics as I still need some info about how the blades are held on to the shaft if anyone has any thoughts, please let me know

Cheers Boys

dsc00054.jpg

dsc00055.jpg

dsc00057.jpg

dsc00059.jpg

is there a locking pin there somewhere to remove the blade section in a similar way to removing the scroll on a G-Lader? does removing the allen bolt and removing the sleeve that the pulley was attached to reveal anything?

You see the bullit shaped cap at the top with flats machines into it, looks like that will unscrew and the blades life off but as you said, you should have gone with the GB on Vortech chargers, there are loads of issues with the Z chargers and well known faults as you are experiencing.

You could get a shaft friction welded on and machined correctly, this would be very strong and would fix it but try getting hold of the people whom deal with them for correct parts, good luck.

Chris