Sign in to follow this  
big_chris1981

abs problem?

Maybe.. Dunno. I mean, these things are massively oversupplied, since the number of written off VR6s massively outnumbers the number of failed ABS units. Most breakers will have one of these kicking around.

Of course, it is quite possible that when you fit a 2nd hand one, it too will have the same problem in 12 months time, and yes, a refurb job would give you more peace of mind. But I got my VR6 ABS unit for £20 and it's been fine since it was fitted, over a year ago now.

The refurb job will probably only have a 90 day or maybe 1 year warranty anyway...

As the good Doctor says, or at least implies, if that "new" one fails after a year or so, there are loads more of them around. It's not as though a malfunction leads to total brake failure, in which case it would obviously be vital to be safe rather than sorry and have it rebuilt.

I would tend to do everything possible to ensure that no dirt gets into the union connections before installing it, thoroughly bleed/flush the system once the installation is complete and take it from there.

On the other hand, the professional engineer in me says, "Get it rebuilt anyway", and rejoice in the fact that you have still made a massive saving on the price of a new one.

Best wishes

RB

I've recently had an intermittent ABS fault, which VAGCOM diagnosed as being 00276 Outlet Valve Left Rear.

Steve F had the same intermittent fault & fault code on his VR6, when he changed the abs pump/valve block he found that the problem was actually caused by a break/crack on the electrical circuit, at the point where there is a tight bend in the circuit board. The replacement unit he fitted was from a different car, and the 'bend' in the circuit had actually been revised to use wiring instead, so in theory preventing the same thing happening again. I'll try and find out if it carrried the same part no, and what car it came off.

My advise is to disconect all the ABS sensors and clean the electrical contacts.

If the pump if deffective, and not capable to reach the desired pressure, you´ll also get the red light (!) on the cluster at the same time the ABS orange one.

If you need a good working ABS pump from a 1990 G60, i can send it to you!

Shipping costs? They´re cheap in Portugal! ;)