Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

TVR Chimera - what the hell are they made from?

thing about TVR's is, despite all the faults, there is just something so desirable about them! I would love to own one, even if only for 6 months. They sounds gorgeous.

My mates Reflex Purple Tuscan Speed 6 is soooooo nice, I'd love one. You'd need a 2nd car for when it's in for servicing or broken though :wink:

thing about TVR's is, despite all the faults, there is just something so desirable about them! I would love to own one, even if only for 6 months. They sounds gorgeous.

I was on my way to the girlfriends last weekend and I was going through a small village when a new looking TVR came out of a junction.. don't know what it was but it was incredibly mean looking.. T350C, Saggaris? Not sure but I know one thing.. he saw my car and obviously had to prove his was a bit meatier.. he stepped on the throttle for all of a split second but it sounded like a BOMB had gone off. Just an explosion of exhaust noise - never heard anything like it.. well except for the guy who'd parked outside my house in his Aston Martin V12 Vanquish - THAT was a noise!! :)

My mates Reflex Purple Tuscan Speed 6 is soooooo nice, I'd love one. You'd need a 2nd car for when it's in for servicing or broken though :wink:

well they say to the car to be off the road for at least 4 months of the year due to reliability problems etc.

The main reason I sold my Cerb was down to the responsibility I had to my young family.

A 340 BHP 2+2 Coupe made of a steel space fram chassis with fibreglass over the top (although it did have a integral roll bar and door beams - which the Chim didn't) used to give me sleepless nights should anything horrible happen to my 2 precious little ones.

Yes the car was great - just service, tyres, tappet adjustment and a few bits of bobs in 15 months of ownership was good value. I also paid £15K and got £15K back.

The running costs on my G60 in the last 3 months are almost catching up with the costs of 15 months Cerbera ownership!!!

As for reliabilty, TVRs fall into a certain group of owners who just tend to throw & leave them in the garage over winter and expect them to be brilliant when they get them out in the spring. Any car that is neglected for 6 months is gonna have problems when you wheel it out in the spring.

Exactly KUTR's. Which is why you need to be able to drive one in the pishing rain / sleet ( although i dont fancy the idea of snow much.. ). These cars need to be driven !

I like the Cerb shape more than the Chim tbh. How did you find the visability? I sat in one the other day and was astounded by the small slot in the bodywork containing the windscreen :p . I know the later ones had a slightly bigger screen, but man - it was like looking through a letterbox !

And the doors ! They are looong.

Visibilty is err 'narrow', the front roll bar sits right above the windscreen...

Yes the doors are long, especially when you only have a single garage.!

Oh yes, the hand brake is crap too - not enough leverage on the cable at the rear wheels. I had to adjust mine every 4 weeks!

And another thing - earlier clutches used to fail which can only be replaced by the later uprated version which needs a new bell housing and stuff so expensive. The clutch slave cylinder is inside the bell housing too as space is at a premium - its a gearbox out job to change the slave cylinder seals! If you drive a car and you feel a 'resonance' in third gear it has the earlier clutch!

And stick with AJP V8 (4.2 or 4.5) engine it's almost bullet proof & keep away from the speed 6 engine (unless it been rebuilt & has a TVR warranty). The latter has been plagued with cam / valve issues although TVR have about sorted now.

The main reason I sold my Cerb was down to the responsibility I had to my young family.

A 340 BHP 2+2 Coupe made of a steel space fram chassis with fibreglass over the top (although it did have a integral roll bar and door beams - which the Chim didn't) used to give me sleepless nights should anything horrible happen to my 2 precious little ones.

dont blame ya one bit mate. I know a picture doesnt tell the whole story, but good move. These pictures look like the TVR came worse off!

tvr_20030411_002.jpg4cerbera_20050220_001.jpg

Love the interiors on them, although prefer a more "sober" colour. Love the Batman steering wheel too.

tvr_cerbera_01.jpgtvr_cerbera_red_rose_4.jpg

Lets face it, they are gorgeous!

tvr_cerbera_05.jpg

ZwgmteeHeQ_TVR_Cerbera_A_1024x768.jpg

Tried editing them all to be the same size. Damn photobucket!

Sadly though my local TVR dealership lost one of its salesmen in an accident during a test drive in a Tuscan.

It was quite horific and was front page news in the local papers - really brings it home.

They've ceased trading now -it really affected the owner apparently.

I reckon that top piccy would not have been a write-off tho. The chassis would be fine ( assuming thats the only damage). Chop the rear off and glass a new one in. The benefits of fiberglass !

Not so sure about the next one though....