Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

4 to 5 stud post again

I know this has been covered before but i cant seem to find a straight forward answer.

I have a 91 16v corrado (late spec exterior, early interior)

The position im in now is that i wat 5 studs so i can have more wheel choices and bigger brakes.

I have:

corrado vr6 hubs

corrado vr6 carriers

corrado vr6 driveshafts and cv joints

corrado vr6 rear disks

mk4 golf 1.8t callipers

mk4 golf 1.8t disks

also have g60 carriers (not sure if these can be used)

im worried that i have to convert my wishbones too, dont want to change these due to extra costs and time. so basically can i use all the above parts to make my 4 stud 5 stud?

or will i need more parts? may actually do the 312mm conversion if i can source a carrier

is it also possible to attatch the vr6 driveshafts to the gearbox? prob not but would mean an easy conversion

will i have trouble with abs?

thanks and sorry if people are pi55ed off at seein the 4 to 5 stud post

Im doing this at the moment.

Ive changed wishbones,and roll bar,then using vr6 hubs and hopefully mk4 calipers discs and carriers.

Bets bet is to press out the 4stud flange from existing hub,then press in the 5 stud flange and re-drill your 256mm 4 stud discs to 5stud.

You will need 5 stud cv joints no matter what.

Otherwise you have to go full widetrack like im doing which means wishbones,roll bar,hubs and i think track rod arms?

so i dont need the vr6 hub? just the vr6 flange?

surely if i have to take the hub off my car might aswell put the vr6 one in its place, or will this not fit a 2.0 16v wishbone?

so the driveshafts are no good?

dont think i need to drill disks as i will use the 1.8t disks if these dont fit i will put 312mm disks on

the whole point is you have to use the wishbones that match the hub as the bottom ball joints are different and the mk4 discs are the wrong offset so the caliper wont line up!

Ive got mk4 288 discs to go on mine and think you can get away with it on the 5 stud hub using 6mm spacers on the caliper.

been thinking about this more and think ill go the wide track route. ie wishbones and anti roll bar track control arms.

how much am i looking at for these parts? can i go second hand?

on the wiki site im sure they said if you put washers on the carrier its possible to use mk4 disks.

wishbones are £40 each new, i went secondhand on these bits.

The wiki says you can use mk4 discs with washers aslong as you have 5 stud hubs to start with.

forgot about this post. ended up doing the conversion in two steps

first step

pressed vr6 hubs into 16v hubs

redrilled mk4 golf gti disks, 188mm and cost £100 inc drilling

mk4 gti callipers, free froma friend but would expect them to be about £30

vr6 out cv joints (think about £50)

brake parts could have been vr6 versions but i had the gti brakes in the garage to use

so cost about £200, could be less if you have good contacts

second step was carried out when i did a vr6 conversion on the car

vr6 wishbones

vr6 roll bar

vr6 bearing housing

mk4 gti callipers (could have used vr6 versions, and possibly g60's but never tried)

mk4 gti disks (could have used vr6 versions, and possibly g60's but never tried)

vr6 drive shafts inc inner and outer cv's

rears are a simple conversion because I just changed the disks to a 5 stud version, ie vr6. straight swap

Sorry, just contemplating this myself. I want to do it the cheapest way possible!

So, if i....

press out the 4stud flange from existing hub,then press in the 5 stud flange and re-drill the 256mm 4 stud discs to 5stud and et some 5 stud cv joints. That will be it for the front?

For the back, it will just be a case of ftting vr6 discs?- will my current 16c calipers fit them alright?

Can i just ask, do i need rear hubs as well? As surely they will be just 4 stud as well once the rear discs are changed?

Also, will the 16v rear calipers fit the vr6 rear discs or do i have to buy new calipers too?

Also, will the 16v rear calipers fit the vr6 rear discs or do i have to buy new calipers too?

Again, only difference in these disks are that they have an extra stud hole. So the rear 16v callipers should fit, iirc these are the same part as the 8v, g60 and vr.

Hi quicky mate. Im looking to do something similar to get some wheels fitted, If I done the VR setup on the rear could I get the hubs redrilled to porka pattern? this seems like I option for me

Hi quicky mate. Im looking to do something similar to get some wheels fitted, If I done the VR setup on the rear could I get the hubs redrilled to porka pattern? this seems like I option for me

Doing the porsche pcd redrill is viable, but I wouldn't like to stress the hub. Your taking more material off a supporting component so it could potentialy lead to a failure.

I'm not an expert on this kind of modification, might be worth doing a search or maybe a new post asking about it. But I'm sure 4x100 to porsche fitments adaptors are availible and are also able to fix the difference in offsets of the wheels :wink:

I got adapters 4x100 to 5x130 I had 15mm turned down off them to help but they still stick way out the arches. I was trying, only for the rears, to have no adapters and a porka hub or something, Doesnt seem like many people have done it so info is not ready availiable :? Somebody thought bug front disks might be good but the centre bore is way bigger on a beetle