Sign in to follow this  
Dec

K-star 8 injector setup

As I've nearly got my Scirocco ready to back on the road, the C will shortly be garaged for its turbo conversion. :) 8)

I have a k-star 301 kit with a fifth injector setup that I was going to use to control fueling in the medium term. However I've been reading up on it and there seems to be a number of limitations to just running a 5th injector on the inlet elbow.

I've heard that the k-star can be used to control a seperate 4 injectors and I was wondering if anyone had any info on this setup?

The only similar setup I can find, the guy drilled each leg of the inlet manifold and welded in four injector seats!! I'm not exactly too keen to be going to those lengths, so what sort of fuel rail etc is needed in this case? :? :oops:

Cheers

Dec

stealth used 4 vr6 injectors on there 16v turbo kit. This will envolve getting the injectors mounted into the lower half of intake manifold though

So it involves drilling the lower half of the inlet manifold? I'd prefer to avoid that sort of surgery, but if it is the best option I guess I would have to do it!

I only have one pair of wires to connect the 5th injector....So would the four injectors just be wired in in parallel? so they basically dump 1/4 of the added fuel down each branch of the inlet?

So a fuel rail something like this:Clicky

A set of 4 vr6 or similar injectors hooked up and mapped to the single connection for the K-star injector, and a modified lower inlet manifold with the correct injector seats, is basically what I'm after?

hi

just a thought..........well outside the box,didnt ford rs turbos run k-jet injection? thats assuming the k star thing is increases the fueling via the coldstart injector on a k jet injection system!? theres lots of crashed ones and it might be simpler than creating a new injection system!

.....i might be wrong though as im not too familiar with these fordy things :?

surely somebody used k jet with a turbo!

andy

dec,yep your right.

The k-star doesnt use the cold stat injector,it uses a device that alters the contol pressure at the wur

Dec, i have an ABF inlet setup, that has electronic injectors.

All you would need ot do is the the loom and ecu from a mk3 16v then and you could run fully programable EGI

Get a suitable chip and you would be laughing, ask George how easy it is to sell 16v engines complete

the k star is 8 injectors alright, but it all depends on what you want, 8 injectors would be great for staged power inputs but you can get digifant rechipped(jd do custom chips to the spec of your engine for not a huge am,ount of money) to match you specs

Personal choice of course, i would be going EFI and loosing the mech injection and making some money back on it

K star KS301 is OK if you've got a KR lump and want to keep it simple, but it's slow. You can feel the engine hesitate as each of the 4 maps load.

I knew this would be complicated! :lol:

So their are good and bad points to fitting EFI off a mk3 16v and setting up the k-star to run 4 seperate injectors!

Down the road I was planing to upgrade to something like Megasquirt anyways, so if I got a bbm rail to use with the 4 mainfold injectors, I guess I could use that when I upgraded to m/s efi? And seen as I already have the K-star it may be a better startoff option?

RMN, yeah, I've seen how much money Geo is making on 16v engines :shock: Unfort a fair few of the orig engines parts are going to be transferred to the new block+head...so I'm not going to have a complete engine to sell after the conversion :cry:

Ok, I know this is beyond a long shot, but does anyone know anything about setting up this k-star yoke.

I have the k-soft v4 software for it and various ignition + fueling maps. But I'm not sure how you can get this to control four injectors :? :(

Basics first....in the pic below:

Yellow circle: Connection to ECU

Green: Com1 PC connection

Blue: 3x (+5v, GND, Signal), wires for the MAP sensor

Red: 2 (Red + brown) wires for the fifth injector control? :?

So, If there is only two wires (for the single injector) how is it possible to wire 4 injectors?

PICT0008.jpg

I`d be tempted to go for the MS1/2 from the off personally, I wish I did. The k-jet flap has to be a restriction for starters, plus you could spend ages mapping the k-star only to have to do the lot over again when you fit the MS.

Rip all the k-jet gubbins out and fit a BBM rail and propely sized injectors, spend time getting the mapping spot on and you`ll be laughing.

Give Wayne Schofield up at Chipwizards a ring... What he doesn't know about ECUs isn't worth knowing... ;)

He'll tell you which car to go and find in a scrap yard to go and nick the engine loom and ECU off, which injectors to get and how to link the whole lot up and then map it for you to get the best out of your car and engine... ;)

Having chatted to him about a few things ECU wise, it's amazing some of the things you learn about the standard ECUs fitted to seemingly normal, run of the mill, family cars and how easy and cheap it can be to get one hell of an engine management system for VERY cheap money... ;)

That looks like an old cosworth air injector photoed within the red circle, on the previous page,it was used to control boost pressure from the turbo,very good,precise way of doing it.

The compleat Weber/IAW injection system fitted to cosworth fords,delta intergrales,even horrible cars such as fiat tempras,lancia prismas etc,etc takes some beating,only four wires and a chopper disk on the crank pulley and your done,even the VW's 16v dist. has the same attachment as those cars for the phase sensor,i did it and it was a very good set-up and you have the added advantage that the IAW set-up uses a RRFPR and can use either low or high imp. injectors,unlike digifant 1 were your stuck with high imp.units.

The injection unit also has a standard 3 bar map sensor(Lancia delta integrale 16v'89 onwards).