Sign in to follow this  
brookes

Tuning 2.0 16v

Looking for some advice,

Have just put a deposit down on a L-reg 2.0 16v C. I managed to haggle the guy down by a few hundred quid so with this cash burning a whole in my pocket l was wondering about a little light tuning. The C is an absolute minter with no mods and one very careful owner.

In terms of tuning l'm not a big fan of excessive exhaust noise. I was thinking of going along the lines of a different filter - maybe a K&N or just a panel swap, and a chip. It a has had a recent exhaust so l don't want to get rid of that. Will these mods work well? I basically still want the car to drive well but with perhaps a bit better response/ fuel consumption. Is that poss.

Bo' selecta

You only need the KR inlet cam as the 2.0 and 1.8 exhaust cams are the same.

You could also fit the larger 50mm manifold from the Golf to improve air flow although the benefit of this is debatable. Some 16Vs respond well to the larger manifold, others don't.

Kev

The 2 litre 16V is chippable. It has KE motronic injection. The ecu controls the mixture with the Lambda probe as a reference. You would never be able to get KJET on its own, to be accurate enough not to kill the cat.

You can use an exhaust cam as an inlet cam. This would give you more than using a KR inlet cam. Stealth can do you one.

Gavin

You can use an exhaust cam as an inlet cam. This would give you more than using a KR inlet cam. Stealth can do you one.

Gavin

Yep. I think Vince still keeps a few pre-modded ones on the shelf.

The woodruff key slot needs maching further round the camshaft to restore the correct timing.

The exhaust cam has an extra 0.5mm of lift and slightly more duration than the inlet cam, so you do get a slight improvement in performance, more noticably in the midrange but on my 16V I also saw a worthy bottom end hike.

The 2.0 with 2 exhaust cams is good for around 160bhp with a couple of other things.

Kev

Hello mate

All i would do is get yourself a 1.8 16v head with cams and bolt it on to your car. Also a nice sports CAT or remove yours completely with a drilled air box and k&n filter and youll be able to see 165bhp give or take 10bhp.

If your going to port and polish then use your head and put in some 1.8 16v cams.

As for chipping it cant be done with the K-Jet or K-Motronic rang because the only control timing and ignition so these after markets chips are useless!!!!!

Ive even spoken to people that have fitted k-star and the other one and they said it didnt really make that much difference.

As for this exhaust cams in the inlet side both AMD and the guy that built my engine have said its no good. Yes driving the car it feels like it produces alot more power after 3500rpm but when they did a rolling road on the test cars they notice it was down to the fact it was underpower before 3500rpm and just producing the normal power in the rest of the range so its not a mod worth doing.

I personally havent discused this with Vince so i dont know where he stands with it.

The 2 litre 16 valve is a different thing to the 1.8. They can be chipped, I had a 2 litre 16 valve Passat which has the same 9A engine in it. There is a place in Blackpool that can do chips for it. I agree that an off the shelf one may not get the best out of it, at least in top end numbers but the improvements in driveability would be worth it.

I had 2 exhaust cams in my 1.8 16V and the increase in torque was very noticeable on the motorway. At 70 there was no need to drop into 4th, as you were already in the power. I sold the car to a mate, when he took the cam out to put in his MK1 16V, he commented on how much it had affected the Corrado.

My Corrado also had VSAM on it, that made a very noticeable difference to driveability and also top end power. I had the software and spent some time messing with it. I wouldnt spend the extra to have the fuelling, that didn't appear to make any difference if it was connected or not.

Vince reslots the cam pulley so that the original marks line up, making it easier for the likes of you and me to fit the cam and get it timed right. The Americans don't bother, they just break out the whiteout(tippex). There is a lengthy write up on some American guys Scirocco website on how to do it DIY. The use of this cam was started in a race series in the States( similar to slick 50). The racers were not allowed to use none std parts in the engines however, someone discovered the exhaust cam gave an improvement when used as an inlet. As it has VW stamped in it, no problems..... I doubt that hundreds of racers all over the states would go to the trouble, if there was nothing in it.

At the end of the day Brookes will have to make his own mind up where to blow his money. A 50 shot of nitrous is always going to be good value at £500. :shock:

Cheers

Gavin

Looking for some advice,

Have just put a deposit down on a L-reg 2.0 16v C. I managed to haggle the guy down by a few hundred quid so with this cash burning a whole in my pocket l was wondering about a little light tuning. The C is an absolute minter with no mods and one very careful owner.

my advice would be...........keep it standard for just a while.........as a couple of hundred might be needed sooner than you think on a Corrado......for instance i bought my storm from a garage and it too was a "minter" 2 weeks later the H/light switch needed replaced......so £70+ later..........you get my drift :wink:

ok well if its worked for you then i must be wrong

in the end of the day brook's its upto you but personally i would go for thous mods after speaking to the people i have.

Wicked,

Cheers for all the responses. l'm not the most technically minded bloke in the world so l'm gonna leave it till after the winter and then see how things are.