Sign in to follow this  
kop10320178

head gasket leaking exhaust gases into coolant system

hi

i have 94 m reg raddo vr6

i had compression test done and it confirms the head gasket needs replacing. it leaking the exhaust gases into the coolant system, does the head need to be skimmed ?

there is no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil.

thanx jay

its best to, unless you can do the work yourself. Dont want to pay for its all only to find it needs doing again.

It could well be fine but its the risk you have to take, up to you :)

I've done a fair few head gasket changes on VR's now and never had one skimmed, however that doesn't mean that they didn't need to be done, it just means i got away with it.

You can use a steel rule and feeler gauge to measure the twist in the surface or take it to your local engine machinists and they should be able to do it for you.

It doesn't sound as though it's too bad and i'd go for just replacing the gasket unless it's been badly overheated!

Remember to clean the surfaces propperly and degrease them and leave the surface keyed.

Chris

The head on mine was very badly pitted when it was taken off, so be prepared for that. Maybe it had been run on plain water in the past with no corrosion inhibitor, but it was effectively scrap. At the time I got a VAG exchange head complete (valves, springs, cams etc ) for about £800,- A lt of money but obviously it minimised the labour cost and was guaranteed.

I hope yours turns out to be less damaged.

Best wishes

RB