Sign in to follow this  
Jules

Fuel Leak...correct part name??

Today I was getting new rear shockies on the car and at the time it was noticed that I have a fuel leak. I have been told that it needs a new charcoal filter as the old one has rusted, causing a hole to appear?? Is this the correct name for the part (charcoal filter) and if so, how much would should I be expecting to pay?

I was offered one for around £60 :roll:

where's the fuel leak? Sounds more like it's on the Fuel filter on the main fuel line rather than the charcoal filter which doesn't actually attach to anything other than breather pipes...

If the leak was noticed near the back of the car, it's the fuel filter... if it's near the front of the car, they're talking ballcocks as there's no fuel near the charcoal filter! ;)

The car is a 91 Corrado 16v. The leak is under the car near the drivers side rear wheel. I had a leak there before but it was a pipe which had corroded.

The car was up on ramps today and I had a look. I cant see exactly where the fuel is running out from but it is dripping off the bottom of what looks to be a rusty old metal cylinder thingy which is about 3 inches long and has pipes running into it? Soz for the poor description lol

Thats the fuel filter, there's a 'how to' guide, with pics, in the knowledge base section - have a look and see if its the same part.

I got a fuel filter from GSF for £7 exc postage. Goes without saying but I wouldn't take the C back there if it is just the fuel filter. Arse bandits.

Yip, had a look at the 'how to' section and it looks like the fuel filter! Just phoned and got a price of £8 which is more like it.

The £60 price and the idea that is was a charcoal filter came from my local Volkswagen dealer too....doesnt give you much confidence in them :?

Thanks guys will get this sorted tonight

Just picked up the fuel filter to find out that its not that after all, its the fuel pressure accumulator which needs replacing. So one on order for tomorrow now. :)

Be prepared for a bit of a shock when you get the price on the accumulator, they're not cheap IIRC... :|